1967 Group II Cars

• For the 1967 season, Shelby American prepared some small number of Mustang race cars for Group II (Trans-Am) and Bud Moore did a few Cougars.

1) Does anybody here own one of these cars?

2) Did they leave Ford's plants as complete cars or bodies in white and if running cars did they have production HP289 engines?

I wonder about if these cars ever even for a day had production engines. The 1967 vintage material that Ford published and provided to racers for Group II cars (and GT40s) has a detailed parts list. Most of the race engine parts are ones I have only heard rumors of, you know bench racing legends. Many have C6FE or C7FE engineering number prefixes. (The cylinder heads, cylinder blocks, and camshafts are well known but I have never seen examples most of the others.)

Dan

Edited by - rr64 on 03/10/2007 08:28:35

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

For the 1967 season, Shelby American prepared some small number of Mustang race cars for Group II (Trans-Am) and Bud Moore did a few Cougars.

1) Does anybody here own one of these cars?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Don't own one but a friend had one (as well as a 66 Grp I) I know of a number of others and have some of the original paperwork that has been provided to me

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>2) Did they leave Ford's plants as complete cars or bodies in white and if running cars did they have production HP289 engines?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Complete running cars just like the regular Shelbys. They were built in groups under special orders like Shelbys were

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I wonder about if these cars ever even for a day had production engines. The 1967 vintage material that Ford published and provided to racers for Group II cars (and GT40s) has a detailed parts list. Most of the race engine parts are ones I have only heard rumors of, you know bench racing legends. Many have C6FE or C7FE engineering number prefixes. (The cylinder heads, cylinder blocks, and camshafts are well known but I have never seen examples most of the others.)

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Engines were assembled, dynoed and tuned at Shelby and installed in the cars. How the cars were equipped depended on the customer and what country they were going to run it while most were all the same fulfilling the US rules

• J_Speegle

Thanks.

By chance do you have any documentation of how the 2-4V systems were done? I have seen published period pictures showing two ways and a speaker at a SAAC convention told of a third. I have seen three different versions (small differences) of the 1967 style intake (with 1966 Ford engineering number).

Dan

• A couple of links below might help. The first is an article on modified Mustangs and Fords. The second is a about a three times Australian touring car Championships winner.

[Blocked Image: http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/ra…AB9_medium1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/ra…3DF_medium1.jpg]

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredvehicl…oupe/index.html

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=ZJ4X1D68BA87W3N2

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/08/2011 21:26:32

• 67 Group II car number 8 was raced in Sweden in 67 and driven by

Bo Ljungfeldt at among others the Karlskoga race track. It was later sold to Ford in Denmark. In the end of the 70's I got this information and tried to locate it in Denmark but was unsuccessful.

Later heard it had beed sold to Ford in Norway and raced there.

It's now owned by a Norwegian guy who is restoring it.

/Bo

• I have a 2x4 intake off a TA cougar that went to Mexico. FoMoCo casting. The guy I got it from owned a 66 G2 car. His name is Alvaro Diaz, and is in the registry as owning a 66 and a 67 TA car. Rick

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!