• Couple of U-joint questions. Are hipo u-joints and regular V-8 u-joints the same? Specifically, I am concerned with the rear u-joint. Do most parts houses (Advance, Autozone, etc.) carry the correct u-joint?

• I was told by my drive shaft guy that Spicer has filed for bankruptcy and he is unable to get the correct U bolts for an early Mustang new. He is also having trouble getting a lot of other parts, but under normal conditions, he can build a drive shaft just like the factory ones with correct U joints. The main difference is that most of the new ones have zerk fittings on them. Very difficult to see once installed. You may can find one without the fitting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• I guess specifically, I am asking about the spider. Is it the same as a regular mustang. The MU catalog only lists two types for 65-66: inside snap and outside snap.

• The rear u-joint is not the same as the front one. The cups that go into the 9" rear end are 1/16" larger in diameter than the ones pressed into the driveshaft. I got mine from NAPA several years ago. I have the boxes and part nos. and can take a look tonight.

• Thanks. I just dropped the driveshaft off at a machine shop/parts store. They are ordering a new spider, but I suspect that it will be wrong. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>The main difference is that most of the new ones have zerk fittings on them. Very difficult to see once installed. .....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Just depends how much effort one wishes to invest in seeing them

The other tell-tell sign is that the original have a "valley" or depression in the center of the U-joint. Many of the replacements have a channel in this area to carry the grease to the cups from the zert fitting or are completely solid in this area for strenght

"rebuilt" original car bring $100-up ea

• Hey Joe,

Sorry for the delay. I've got the U-joint part nos. for you. The NAPA part nos. are:

Front: 369

Rear: 430

They are both outer clip style. When you install them, the zerk fitting should be in a state of compression, such that as the driveshaft rotates, it turns towards the fitting.

Good Luck,

Gerald

Edited by - 65HiPo on 03/07/2007 13:02:39

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!