What number should be on the heads

• Hello Steve... There should be a 19, 20 or 21. One will be on the front bottom corner on the drivers side and One will be on the rear bottom corner of the passenger side.

If you take the valve covers off you should see 289 with two dots above it cast into the head. Also look for the screw in rocker arm studs. Best thing you could do is buy a copy of "The 289 High Performance Mustang" Fourth Edition by Tony Gregory. This book is a wealth of knowledge.

Hope this helps,

Gary

• Thanks Gary, that helps a lot.

Do they put the whole vin on the block, or just a partial? My car has the whole vin#, but the motor I'm looking at has only the partial.

Thanks

• It should have the entire VIN but as you will learn with these engines nothing is impossible. If you have part of the VIN I would bet the rest of it is there but so faint that it will be very hard to see. One of my Kars is like that. I am going to pull the engine to clean the engine bay and I'm sure I will see all the VIN.

Gary

• I came across some heads at a swap meet this weekend labeled 289 HiPo. They did indeed have the valve spring pockets and screw in studs. Part number began with C4. However, I could not find a #19, #20, or #21 on the top corners. I did find a #21 on the underside of the head. The heads were bare ie no springs, valves, or rockers. Price was $200. I'm not sure if they sold or not as the seller's merchandise was all packed away when I came back. It was his turn to wander through the meet.

• The heads sound like C4OE-B Hipo heads used around March and April of 1964. I had some from my 64 Hipo Fairlane. They would not be correct for a Mustang.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!