Woodgrain steering wheel on GT

• Did all GT cars have woodgrain steering wheels even if the car has standard interior? Is it different between '65 and '66? I know that the K code cars came with the engine dress up kits but what about the A code cars with with the GT option? I was to believe that you could only get the woodgrain steering wheel with pony interior and the only way to get the engine dress up kit from the factory was to get a K code.

• The wood grain wheel was only standard equipment when the interior decor group was ordered. It was also available as a separate option. But to answer your question, the wood grain wheel was not part of the GT.

The only factory dress-up kit came on a hi-po for 65-66. Anything else would be dealer installed.

• I've got a'66 K-GT f/b and have the original build sheets and window sticker. Mine was ordered with the optional wood grain GT wheel and rally-pac. It has the std. two-tone blue interior with std. black glove box door and black instrument bezel.

Regards,

Mark

• 65shelby

How does your window sticker and build sheet define the wood grain wheel? In other words what did Ford Motor Corp. call it on the two documents you have.

• Would you mind posting a copy of your invoice and your build sheet showing this option. I think that many of us would greatly appreciate seeing exactly what they called this and how it looked in the official documents. Thanks!

• Dunc289 should have a copy of a window sticker with the Woodgrain Wheel as an option, and not part of a decor package. His Gold 66 GT K-convert has a woodgrain wheel with standard interior with a bench seat.

Duncan...you out there?

• Ron, my window sticker is inconlusive on this subject. As many of you might remember, my GT was special ordered from Dearborn in what we believe was anniversary gold, and when it rolled down the line in June/July, it may have gotten treatment special in other ways. I sat this because the Window sticker has the following;

base 289

289 4V HPWITH GT 3 MO OR 4000 MI POW TRN WARRANTY

GT EQUIPMENT

CRUISE O MATIC

FW SEAT WITH CNTR ARM REST

BLACK TOP

RADIO AM

DELUXE SEAT BELTS FRT & RR

TINTED GLASS

VISIBILITY GROUP

HEAVT DUTY BATTERY

STYLEDSTEEL WHEELS

RALLY-PAC

PTO 35-0183

SPECIAL PAINT

and so how it got the wheel is unclear. Maybe the dealer? or on the assembly line, as part of its special treatment.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Duncan

• Thanks Duncan, I didn't remember for sure if it was listed on there or not. I am beginning to think the Kar's original owner knew somebody, or had a lot of things added at the service station he owned.

• my thoughts, also. With the knowledge we have of his considerable collection, it would seem he had the connection and ability to see these special features equipted on his special Kar!!!.

• Mine is a late April '66 build out of Dearborn.

The Deluxe wheel option box on my build sheets, located in the 2nd row last box on the right, is labeled '7' in the box.

My window sticker reads

DELUXE STEERING WHEEL $31.52

As far as pics go, you have to have a web site or free hosting place to post from. I have neither. I can scan the docs and e-mail them if anyone's interested. Maybe someone else can post them who has these external net places.

I also have some good pics of my newly completed engine bay if anyone's intrested.

Mark Young

shelby65r@alltel.net

• <div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
    Send 'em my way and I'll post them for you.

k_code_66 [at] yahoo [dot] com

I just e-mailed them to you. Thanks for the offering and enjoy!!

Mark
    </div>

• Here are the pics Mark sent me...

Edited to add a picture of the kar.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Hello 66KGT,

Attached are some scans of my paperwork for my car. The 3300 written on some docs appears to be the customer # as shown on the Warranty ID card.

The Deluxe Steering Wheel option is located in the 2nd row, last box on the right and checked with 7.

Please post at your discretion and hope this helps in future doc. Requests. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

[Blocked Image: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2934/66kfbbuildsheetssp4.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9308/66kfbmiscdocsgc2.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2418/66kfbwindowstickerxh2.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2994/pict0585ji2.jpg]

Edited by - 66KGT on 12/11/2006 19:27:02

• Mark, are those the dual redline radials from Coker on your Nightmist blue K FB? Are the red lines raised or recessed on the sidewall? How do you like the tires in general.

Thanks, Bill

• Bill,

not sure of the manufacturer as I bought them used off of a show car. They're probably Coker's though. They are Firestone's and have the recessed Red Lines. They look awesome but ride and handling leaves a lot to be desired. If you're traveling 50 miles or less locally then they're fine. Over that and I'd opt for some radials. I'm thinking about buying a repro set of SS wheels and Dual Redline radials for driving and save the 'skinny's' for shows. I believe Coker offers BF Goodrich redlines now and Diamond Back will make them up from about any tire at your request but also have they're own line. My dad has a set of Gold Line Diamond Back's on his '63 Corvette and loves them.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!