1965 Mustang Factory GT?

• I have a 1965 Mustang GT fastback. I'm trying to firgure out if it is a factory GT car. The VIN is 5F09A739693. So it is a late model '65. I don't have a door tag though and I don't know the information. I know that it is late enough for the GT option because it is an original pony interior car. I have the quick steering box and the upgraded suspention. I have front disc brakes that seem to be original but the master clynder was replaced. I have the original one and it is for front disc brakes. I have the brake line in the correct spot. I have the dual exhaust brakets on the back floor pans. When I turn on the fog lights the back lights turn on also. I have a 140 MPH dash. I do not have holes in the radiator support but I think that it was replaced. *BUT WHEN I PUT MY FINGER IN THE HOLE IN THE REAR FRAME RAIL AND BEND IT TOWARD THE REAR I FEEL NOTHING. BUT WHEN I BEND IT TOWARD THE FRONT I FEEL AN INNER BRACKET. My current dual exhaust has a bolt going through that bracket. Also my fog lamp swith seems to be original and it was in a weird place when I first got the car. It was under the dash in the hole to the left. I was told that some GT's had these weird three holes under the dash. http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/bri…mgAnch=imgAnch1

Can anybody shine some light on this subject for me please. If you want other pictures of my car they are at http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/brinks3447/

Thank You.

• First, beautiful car! Here is some feedback based on your requests:

-Sometimes an initial "look" of a 65/66 GT will tell me whether or not it's an original GT car. That said, there are a couple things that drew my attention... 1)No hood lip molding 2)GT's could not be ordered with backup lights when your car was made 3) The fender emblem and letter placement seems a little off. Those 3 things would have me looking further.

-According to the unit number of this car, it should have the "typical" dual exhaust reinforcements in the rear seat area and rear frame rails. Inspect the frame rails for replacement. Also, check the rear axle snubber plate, it should be the same as a K code with the squared off corners.

-Since this is an A code car, the job of determining if it was an original GT car is a little easier. The dual exhaust stuff is the biggest thing, but the next one is the instrument cluster. If you remove the cluster, there should be a "dip" in the middle for the 5 dial cluster. If the car was a GT, it had to have this, but also, if the car came with pony interior it also had it too. The absence of the dip would prove the car came with neither. So you have to rule that out.

-The fog light switch is in the correct location for the unit number. I had a '65 GT convertible 5F08A737042 that had the fog light switch up on the dash like yours. Some earlier GT's had it mounted on the lower edge.

Keep in mind that some things that can be checked do not prove the car was a GT, but rather they can disprove if absent or not what expected.

• I think I have put some light on the subject. I finally got the back seat out of the car. I took pictures of what I believe are the original duel exhaust supports. I believe that this should help me with verifying that it is a real GT car. Please someone help me out with this theory. Also I found a tag under my seat that I have never seen before. Can someone tell me if it has any significance? I posted the pictures at http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/brinks3447/.

• Hi,

Every seat I have seen, front or back has

this type of tag mounted at one of the springs.

Don't think it has anything to do with GT or not.

/Bo

• Can anyone tell me more about the reverse lights and the GT dual exhaust in the rear valance. Previously I was told that for my build date a factory GT car could not have reverse lights. But I thought that all late '65 and '66 GT's came standard with reverse lights.

• Backup lights were not a factory option when '65 GT's became available for ordering. The dealer price list that came out in April '65 specifically notes on the sheet that backup lights are not available with the GT equipment group. In '66, they were standard equipment on all models.

• Thank you all for your help. Especially caspian65. I hopefully have one finally question. Since my car is a late model 1965 would it come with the '65 rally pac that says rally pac in the middle of it or would it come with the low profile '66 rally pac? Also would the rally pac be painted accourdingly to the color of my interior?

• FYI The Rally Pac wasn't a part of the GT package.It was a seperate option on any 65/66 Mustang. Caspian65 is correct however, if ordered for your car it would be the low profile rally pac.

• Just to clarify; Are you saying that backup lights were not available on GT cars but were available on cars built in early 1965 before the GT package was available?

I have the sales order from February, 1965 (prior to being able to order a GT) for a car with the backup lights option and also the MSRP invoice for the car which was built and delivered in March, 1965 that also shows the backup lights option. Therefore, this documents that backup lights were a factory option prior to the GT package becoming available. Why, only a short time later, would Ford not offer the backup lights option on GT cars? Was it only because of the GT exhaust valance? I assume backup lights continued to be available on non-GT cars?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Backup lights were not a factory option when '65 GT's became available for ordering. The dealer price list that came out in April '65 specifically notes on the sheet that backup lights are not available with the GT equipment group. In '66, they were standard equipment on all models.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• However, I'm told ( by an elder gentleman that sold Fords in New Jersey in the 60's) that you could order something called a "visibility package" (or some similar name) This "visibility package" came with; Windshield washers, three speed heater fan, day/night mirror, and....backup lights. and apparently could be ordered on any Mustang.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!