Hydraulic Clutch

• i did an advanced search and got zero hits!!

so will start a new thread here to address this issue.

1st, has anyone used this setup on their K car (cringe)?

other than Modern Drive Line n Bruce

i haven't found any detailed instructions or videos

on how to install such a devise on a 65 or 66 mustang

bruce's instruction sheet is fairly difficult to decepher

we will be putting one on my son's '66 coupe C code

so i'll keep you updated

thanks

iowa

• His intention for the hydraulic clutch is that he is putting a T5 in his sons car. I have done several of the T5 conversions and I used a cable instead. I did not particularly like the cable but it was easier than a hydraulic setup.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

His intention for the hydraulic clutch is that he is putting a T5 in his sons car. I have done several of the T5 conversions and I used a cable instead. I did not particularly like the cable but it was easier than a hydraulic setup.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

just curious, a Z bar won't work with a T5 ?

Z.

• i plan to install the regular clutch setup in my K kar

don't worry about that!

this is just for my son's T5 setup

i just wondered if anyone here HAD used it on their K kar?

it doesn't seem so as i didn't get one hit as mentioned above!!

iowa

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

i plan to install the regular clutch setup in my K kar

don't worry about that!

this is just for my son's T5 setup............."

iowa

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

not worried, just curious if the Z bar works with a T5.

I do know you can use a stock bell housing (w/ adaptor plate) with a T5, so it seems that keeping the z bar, combined with a Centerforce I, would be a pretty easy-to-operate clutch system.

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 01/28/2011 22:36:55

• Z Ray, I did a couple of them, by customer request, with a cable and the T5 type of bellhousing setup. On the last one I did use a stock bellhousing and adaptor plate for the T5 with a stock Z Bar type of linkage. It worked much better than the cables.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• like i said

we will set it up both ways

if one uses the regular clutch linkage

one has to drill two holes in the T5 Bell H

and....if one wants to use the hydraulic clutch

one needs two holes in a different location in the T5 Bell H

i had Bruce at MDL drill all 4 of these holes

so we will have these two options

will let you know how it works out

and with method we final decide to go with

iowa

• One key point to installing a hydrualic clutch on your car. You will have to drill a least two holes in your firewall to mount the clutch master cylinder. I am sure there different types and applications, but the ones i am most familiar with have the master cylinder right below the brake cylinder. If you are against drilling holes in mustangs, this alone may help make your final decision.

• i would never do this to my K code

but am not opposed to doing it to my son's C code coupe

....but we haven't entirely decided yet

we did put hipo exhaust manifolds on it

and are still thinking about using the regular

clutch linkage and set up.....

iowa

• Hi, at risk of being accused of K abuse my car has a hydraulic clutch setup at the moment until I can obtain the correct spec C4 trans. It has a later V8 Falcon bell housing to suit hydraulic clutch. The pedal support and firewall has been drilled to suit the master cylinder. This was already done to my car when I got it many years ago but I have done this conversion on a 64 and 65 Futura coupes.

This is easier to do with the pedal support out of the car. You have to drill mounting holes for the cylinder and put a hole for the master cylinder to go through. Weld two nuts on the pedal support for the m/c to bolt to. With the cylinder mounted and push rod in place move the clutch pedal across the push rod while keeping the push rod on the same plane as the brake one to work out a centre line/ position to put the hole for the push rod to clutch pedal mount ( use a brake pedal bolt which allows rotation) . Drill a suitable size hole for the bolt. Re install the pedal support and mark out the hole on the firewall for the m/c 3 holes -2 bolt hole and centre hole. Drill out these holes and mount the cylinder. I think the bell housing mods have been covered.

In a nut shell you are trying to replicate the brake cylinder/pedal relationship for the clutch pedal and cylinder.

I hope this helps.

• we are going to use the standard clutch linkage setup

but are not sure the hole for the equalizer bar pivot

is in the right place.

we have an engine plug by the front arrow

and thot that the rear arrow indicates where

the placement aught to be

is this true?

we're wondering if this is a 302 block

and if it is,

how does one hook up the equalizer bar to the engine?

thanks

iowa

[Blocked Image: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/engine_eq_bar_mount_copy.jpg]

Edited by - iowa on 02/06/2011 19:16:30

Edited by - iowa on 02/06/2011 21:23:37

".................... we're wondering if this is a 302 block

and if it is,

thanks

iowa

I'm 99% sure you can buy a little adaptor that bolts to the block (for using the pivot stud) from the major mustang supply houses

Z.

• That is correct, he should have said '100%'.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

".................... we're wondering if this is a 302 block

and if it is,

thanks

iowa

I'm 99% sure you can buy a little adaptor that bolts to the block (for using the pivot stud) from the major mustang supply houses

Z.

• I looked for it in the npd catalog, but missed it somehow.Would be surprised if they didn't carry it.

Just tell them you have a newer engine block and want the adaptor bracket thats lets you use a Z bar with it.

Z.

• the starter flange measures 4 1/8 outer dia

the hole in the blocking plate is a smidge under 4 1/8 dia

what is the best way to enlarge

the blocking plate starter hole?

thanks

iowa

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!