Staggered shock handling?

• Hi, I saw a Mustang staggered shock repop kit on eBay. It looks like the bloke has done his research on the parts and has done a nice job reproducing the panels. How does a staggered shock car handle compared to a non-staggered shock car. I am thinking of getting and fitting a kit to my Aussie XP 65 Futura coupe which is under going a very slow restoration and modification process. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Zed

• This is an unusual modification and you might be able to get input from the modified forum on the VMF. Most of the K car folks are restoring rather than modifying.

• Zed, I staggererd the shocks on my 66 Mustang. This was fourty years ago, but as I remember, it made no noticeable differance in handling. It was not for turning as much as it was to stablize the axle for drag racing. That is why I did it. Tom

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I staggererd the shocks on my 66 Mustang...It was not for turning as much as it was to stablize the axle for drag racing.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Tom's correct about that. The staggered shocks are intended to help maintain traction on a "live" rear axle set up.

• Thanks for the help. I was concerned about a deterioration in handling on a car with this modification retrofitted. But it all sounds good and I am hoping for improved traction as well.

I had noticed a few members have modified cars of varying types and was/ have tapped into other's experience's with this modification.

Thanks again for the great advice and help.

What is VMF? (Virginia Mustang Forums)

Zed

Edited by - Zed on 05/14/2009 01:27:27

• Hi, I got the parts in the mail awhile ago and they look very well made.

But the transition pan on my Futura is different from a Mustang and the upper panel will not fit without a bit of reworking. I might have to make a sheet metal brake and make a new part for inside the boot(trunk) area to get this to work on my car. I'm still waiting on the 9" axle housing to be finished. Hopefully the car will be back on some wheels again soon.

Regards Zed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!