Is my 9" Rear end original?

• Looking at the 9" Rear info under "Tech and Info sites" in this website, it indicates HiPo 9" rears have tapered axle housings. Seperately, Tony Gregory's HiPo book says there were no limited slip rears on 65 HiPos. That being said, my rear end/axle on my 65 does not appear original as the axle housings are not tapered. Additionally, my rear is a limited slip. I've posted pictures below for feedback. As info, in case you can't read the tag on the rear, the numbers are as follows:

WFE-C 9AD

3L50 9 357A

Do I have an original rear axle on my car?

[Blocked Image: http://i41.tinypic.com/55jkfd.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i43.tinypic.com/1zwcjd0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i43.tinypic.com/jg5fcz.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i40.tinypic.com/9jzteh.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.tinypic.com/686d85.jpg]

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 02/10/2009 01:24:59

• That is not an original housing.

Is your car a K code?

If it is you need to check out your sheet metal beacuse you may have a sectioned or re-body car. Your Axle Bumper plate is the wrong type for an original K code car. You have the rounded corner type used on single exhaust cars.

• Your WFE-C third member is out of a 69 F100 pick up truck. Your snubber is for a 66 Mustang. The housing looks possibly like a narrowed down early full Size Ford or Thunderbird as the 9 inch 63-65 Fairlanes even have a slight taper to the housing altough much less than a Mustang. Your housing also appears to have a drain in the bottom that is not factory.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• It's definitely a K code. Ralph, looking at Tony's book, the later model 65's have a rounded axle bumper plate. See the picture on page 90 in his book. The previous owner told me he thought the original owner used the car to drag race, so maybe that explains the swap to a limited slip axle.

• Walter, The limited slip differential makes sense for racing however that would not explain the axle housing change. There would be no reason to change the housing at all for racing.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Walter, Does your rear brake hose attach to a bracket that is inboard or outboard of the muffler hanger? From the picture it appears to be inboard.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I'll check out Tony's book again - I have the 3rd and 4th editions at home - but I think you are incorrect about this.

I have a late '65 K code and an early '66 A code - and you definitely you have the single exhaust set up - rounded "FROWN" axle plate like the '66 A code - not the K code flat "SMILE" plate. Look at the plate in your photo and you will see what I mean - your plate is rounded and turns down like a frown it also has that BIG cut out in the middle - the K code plate is mostly flat and turns upward at the ends like a smile and has only 3 holes in it - no big cut out.

There are a bunch of posts in the archive on this - many with pictures.

Sorry if I'm bearing bad news - but I would look your car over carefully for major repair work, front clip replacement, or floor replacement.

My K was also raced and had very severe floor cracks in this area. The floor above the plate on my car has been replaced - BUT I made sure the resto shop used my original plate and lower floor section - even a Mustang Restoration guy with 20-25 years experience didn't know about the plate differences until I told him. He said he never looked close enough becasue he had only worked on 2-3 K codes in 20 years - and only one - MINE - that needed work in that area.

By the way - where in Georgia are you located? I'm outside Atlanta.

I'll try to email you some photos of the K code plate from my car and you'll see the difference.

Edited by - RalphJr on 02/11/2009 12:59:59

• Ralph,

I see what you're talking about. I spoke with Fred yesterday and he sent me pictures as well. I was looking at the rounded corners of the "body" of the snubber whereas I think you, Fred and others were speaking of the square corners of the flange area. I'm afraid you're right about the single exhaust setup. It appears my car's had a change in rear floorpan or maybe even a rear clip. I'm in Savannah.

Walter

• [Blocked Image: http://i42.tinypic.com/27yvmhh.jpg]

This is a picture of a 1959 Ford rear end. I took it out of a 59 Ford around 1970 so I know for sure what it is. You be the judge to decide if it is the same as yours. Back in the day, we always used the 57 to 59 Ford rear end in the 64 to 66 Mustangs to use a 9" rear end. It is the same width, uses the same bearings, and the 8" Mustang axles interchanged. You had to use the Ford Plates and U-bolts. The Ranchero and v8 station wagon rear ends used bigger axle bearings. The only major difference in them is the straight tubes at the end. I hope this helps you.

Edited by - trainford308 on 02/14/2009 19:40:42

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

You're right. It does look like mine. Thanks to all of you. You've all been a lot of help to me and I appreciate it.

Walter

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!