throttle stuck??? new carb

• I installed my new rebuilt 4100 and it runs fine in gear under power/load. Idles good when I start it up. HOWEVER, the throttle is stuck somehow. The throttle rod and spring are new and installed correctly. If I blib the throttle hard, I can make the car idle, but it is racing when I engage the clutch when I come to a stop. The choke plate is working correctly and is all the way open, so it's not that.

Any ideas? I've already sent this carb back to get re-done once and was assured it was tested (again). The first time I sent it back, it was a plugged power booster. This is a different problem, I think.

• Sounds like you do not have enough spring tension. I had similar problem an I just turned bracket for spring on carb a little to add tension an it was fine. also make sure mat or something isn't binding linkage.

• Official Post

I have run into problems with the secondaries not fully closing due to linkage binding.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have plenty of spring tension, I can assure you of that. How do I check for binding?? What area should I look into?

• Make sure the primary butterflies are correctly centered in the bores at the base of the carb. There should be just a little light showing around the plates in the venturis with the throttle lever at rest. An easy check with the carb installed is to disconnect the accelerator linkage and spring and manually operate the carb (engine off) to feel for any binding or sticking. Next, start the car and operate the throttle the same way, manually revving the engine and bringing it back down to idle. Disconnecting the linkage takes it out of the equation and can help you narrow down the problem. If it only happens with the linkage installed, start looking toward spring tension, bracket position, interference with the carpeting or a dry or rotted bushing at the firewall or pedal. Hope this helps, Kevin

• I think what's happenning is the area shown here sticks after each accelaration. I can pull it up manually and it idles fine. Once I accelerate the carb, it sticks again. What is this? Of course I have removed the choke cable in this photo to help me isolate if there was any interference or binding? There was no difference in the operation and the choke plate stays wide open.

[Blocked Image: http://troy.krugercentral.com/Kcode/autlite.jpg]

Edited by - 66gtk on 06/24/2008 13:57:20

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!