Free Play on Clutch Pedal

• Hi There Guys

My K has recently arrived in Sydney Australia...(Pics will follow)

The clutch pedal has about half of free play in it.

I have already changed the Z Bar as the previous one was torn slighly thinking it would fix the problem but it has'nt.

Being under the car yesterday it seems the adjusting screw that goes to the clutch is to short???

Any thoughts

Tony

• Tony, to properly diagnose, this is a two person job. One to slowly push the pedal down and the other to follow the linkage and find the lost motion. It could be a lot of little worn areas are adding up to lots of lost motion felt at the pedal.

Greg Z

• Tony,

Did you check the end play with the engine running?

I just checked the end play on my 65 after replacing

the T10-M1 trans by using a measure between the pedal

and bottom of steering wheel and then depressing the clutch

until the bearing start spinning and take the same measurement.

Had to adjust it at the swivel to the point where there are

almost no treads left on the rod for the outer nut.

My problem is that the clutch stop is starting to be worn (deep)

but I decided to let it be for now.

Free play is about 1" which is fine.

Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Being under the car yesterday it seems the adjusting screw that goes to the clutch is to short???

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I had a similar problem once and liked to never found the problem. It turned out to be the pivot point for the clutch fork inside the bell housing. It was bent, cracked, and about ready to fall off.

Good luck,

John Thomas

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I had a similar problem once and liked to never found the problem. It turned out to be the pivot point for the clutch fork inside the bell housing. It was bent, cracked, and about ready to fall off.

Good luck,

John Thomas

Here's a picture of what I am talking about above...

[Blocked Image: http://cars.fruzzetti.org/gallery/categories/Miscellaneous/media/brokehousing.JPG]

• Hey Tony.

Did you ever sort out your clutch freeplay woes? What was it? Mine's doing the same and it happened after I give it a good belting.

Regards,

René

• Hi Rene

Good to hear from you..

No it still has the free play...

I am going to replace clutch soon so i hope that might reveal what the problem is during that process...

Tony

• Hi Tony.

My car went to my mechanic today to get the clutch problem sorted out. It turned out that my Equalizer bar is cracked and the bushes have totally died. I have to replace the complete Equalizer Bar and the associated parts. Have a look under your car. If you grab the Equalizer and shake it around and it moves, that may be your problem as well.

[Blocked Image: http://i32.tinypic.com/acam1t.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i32.tinypic.com/5302fs.jpg]

Regards,

René

Edited by - rene.pilat on 06/25/2008 01:30:57

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!