Tranny shifting stuck for 1st to 2nd upshift

• About a year ago, I noticed that my car would no longer shift well from 1st to 2nd (toploader with stock shifter). I just couldn't seem to get it in gear. The problem was worse when cold, and got better after driving it for about 15 minutes. I took it in and it was determined my synchros were stuck to the gears and I got a complete rebuild. The gears were OK, so they were not replaced.

After the rebuild, I still have a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold (not cold weather). Problem goes away after about 15 minutes of driving. The car didn't used to have this problem in years past.

My mechanic who did the rebuild says nothing is mechanically wrong with it since it works well when warm. He also confirms the shifter is lined up and positioned correctly. He states the problem should go away after breaking in the tranny and getting everything matted up correctly by using it. It's been a couple months of driving and it's not better (this was last summer/fall).

Should I change to synthetic oil, or try something else.... Any other thoughts? Is this normal?

Thanks,

Troy

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>What is the condition of your stock shifter? I had a similar problem when down shifting to 2nd. I replaced all the bits and pieces that are prone to wear, and verified the shifter rod ends and arms were not sloppy. Had little if any improvement. I'm guessing there is wear within the shifter housing and components that is not noticeable doing a visual on the mechanisim (who or what wouldn't be worn after 40 + years of use). Changed over to a Hurst shifter and the problem went away.

</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p4f8ee1bd214d6f407a7e7df72a842ee9/f5253efc.jpg]

• Hi,

I had the same problem but between 2nd

and 3rd gear. Had to double clutch to get

it (T10M1) into 3rd gear. Put in another

shifter and everything worked fine after

that.

/Bo

• I was also thinking shifter. My mechanic seems confident the shifter feels fine, but things do wear out. We'll see what happens after the gear oil is changed.

• Troy,

Personally, I think your shifter is suspect.

Please completely read this thread from the Classic Mustang Forum. You could get a shifter rebuild kit with the proper parts or you could have your shifter rebuilt:

http://fomoco.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?…shifter+rebuild

If after changing the oil the probem still persists, is there anyone you know that has a Hurst shifter, in good shape, that you could borrow? This would help you isolate the problem.

Hope this helps!

Tom

• How big of a job is it to swap out shifters? I do have a '65 Mustang with a great working Hurst shifter. Where can you get a properly rebuilt shifter? Seems like from reading the thread that some rebuild kits have the incorrect washers/parts.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

How big of a job is it to swap out shifters? I do have a '65 Mustang with a great working Hurst shifter. Where can you get a properly rebuilt shifter? Seems like from reading the thread that some rebuild kits have the incorrect washers/parts.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hurst rebuilds their own shifters, vintage & otherwise.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

• Troy,

Swapping a shifter, from one trans to another, is not difficult provided that the transmissions are the same. IIRC, 3 or 4 bolts and 3 nuts. If you do this make sure you get the shifter linkage tabs onto the trans correctly. Also make sure all of the wave washers get into their correct locations.

According to the last post on the previously provided thread, Glazier's Mustang Barn (GMB) sells the rebuild kits with the correct parts and also provides a rebuild service. Here is their web address:

http://www.mustangbarn.com/

If you call Glazier's ask for Gloria; I've heard she really does a great job.

Tom

• UPDATE:

Just thought I'd let you all know that I haven't done anything but drive it more this year. Seems the problem is fixing itself, as it shifts much better now. I guess my mechanic was right. The new parts have to get used to each other! (:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!