BODY VIN # LOCATIONS

• I am looking at a 1965 K code fastback. The title and the door tag both have a K ID #. The front inner fender stamp is missing. I pulled the right fender back, and there were no numbers there. My question is: Where else might I look? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Burt

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/07/2007 20:54:53

• You should have one on drivers side in front of shock tower, and one behind the shock tower. One on the passenger side behind the shock tower.

Vin would be listed on the door tag, owners manual and if so equipped on the buck tag. Other places to look would be the original engine block and transmission.

The important ones are the ones stamped into the unibody

• A flash light, a scotch bright and some elbow greese should make the hidden vins visable from under the front fenders without having to remove them. Also if the vin was grafted to a non K then it would most likely be visable from this angle.....Billy

• I've had my fenders off for at least a year, and didn't spot the vin stampings from the top until I used steel whool and a little laquer thinner on the areas. Amazing how I could be working a couple inches away from the stampings and not be able to see them, but such was the case. My undersides were undercoated so I never looked there.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've had my fenders off for at least a year, and didn't spot the vin stampings from the top until I used steel whool and a little laquer thinner on the areas. Amazing how I could be working a couple inches away from the stampings and not be able to see them, but such was the case. My undersides were undercoated so I never looked there.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Front clip?

• Sounds like you have a lot of the sealer material the factory used sometimes between the fender and inner apron - after 40 years it takes something strong to get it off. My '65 didn't have very much but my '68 Cougar had a ton of it and it was as hard as a rock!

You can also heat it up with a hot air gun and remove it with a putty knife - I don't recommend a torch because of possible toxic fumes or fire. If you get it hot enough it will come off like butter!

Edited by - RalphJr on 01/02/2007 20:06:42

• Buck tags in 65 and 66 were only used on the New Jersey cars - Dearborn and San Jose cars won't have one.

My '66 tag is located on the top of the passenger side inner fendor apron right between the shock tower and the fender. It is held in place with one screw.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!