looking for advise

• Hi everyone great site. Im new here, but im hoping for some advise. I purchased a car through this site. It was posted on 7/31/06 by 2fst4u. after pulling the pan I found a standard 289 hidden under hipo heads. It also does not have the correct tranny. He will not return calls or emails. Any advise would be great.

Thank you

• Here's the listing before anyone looks for it:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5750

He stated the numbers matched? Were there not VIN stampings on the block and trans? That is for the buyer to determine IMO.

I searched this guys profile and he also had a coupe up for sale with the wrong engine and needing floor pans. Something doesn't smell right to me.

Here on from 12/7/05:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…SearchTerms=for

Same Kar, 3/2/06 for $1000 less:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…SearchTerms=for

Edited by - Beagle1 on 12/20/2006 08:40:04

• There are a lot of details that need to be brought out and this forum may not be the place. My advise to you is contact an attorney. Now, with that being said I would not hire one at this point. I would first dicuss your situation with him/her in detail and find out if you have a viable case and then decide which way to proceed.

Sorry this happened to you. Is it a K code vehicle and do you have a clear Fl title?

Gary

• I buy/sell & broker vintage Mustangs and my Dad has always done the same with Corvettes. We've always been honest on our descriptions when selling and have refused many as well when going to purchase based on inaccurate representations. Talk is cheap and there's no substitute for seeing it first hand.

I bought my first K-car last April. I utilized this site as a non-member doing some research, to gain more knowledge prior to a purchase. I did buy it sight-unseen but it was from a long-time family friend and I had lots of pics. I bought it as a keeper and is the reason for joining this fine on-line institution.

In reading the posted ad above for the '66 K-FB, the seller references block casting numbers (does the date coincide with the build date of the car ?)but doesn't guarantee it's an original hipo motor. That to me says he's either not a guru, is truly not sure and is trying to be honest, or does know but is trying not to snuff out all hopes to a potential buyer that it could be the right motor. No where did he state that it was a guaranteed original hipo, #'s matching or otherwise. I obviously don't know what transcribed in conversation but his ad states what he had - A 66 K-GT fastback project with uncertainty about the motor. The buyer stated that it was indeed a factory K-GT and with some disassembly discovered that it wasn't a hipo short block. It did however have hipo heads. If it also had the big balancer, I would be inclined to believe that it may just be a hipo motor without a vin #. His price was reasonable and the car sounds as described per the posted ad. Case closed.

All buyers need to do their homework and verification in any situation, prior to purchase. If the seller is not willing to cooperate with specific detailed pics (can sometimes really be a pain in the butt) then hop on a plane and go verify it yourself. Otherwise, forget about it.........

Just thought I'd stir the pot with my $.02.......

Mark

• I went through the same thing in 95 when I bought my 66 GT 350. The car was a nice driving low milage car with all the hipo stuff on the outside. It even had the correct Ford vin on the block. Three months after buying the car I pulled the pan. To investigate a strange tick. Didn't find the cause of the tick but did discover a nice set of lopo caps and rods. The inside of the T pan looked like a hand grenade had gone off in it. Those pans must be tough. I never tried to contact the seller. I bought the car "as is". I just pulled the motor and had the correct stuff installed. 10 years later I am still having a blast with it. To tell the truth I have alot more fun with it knowing, I am not going to blow the original motor. It's now listed in the Shelby Registery as having a replacement block. Don't want the next owner, after my death, to assume it's the original just because it's vin stamped. I see you are looking for Hipo caps. Hope things work out and you get to enjoy your car as much as I have mine.

Larry

• From your kar's listing:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Engine has casting code but I cannot guarantee it is an original hipo motor<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

And from the other kar's listing:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Original motor missing but does come with a hipo motor<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

They don't appear deceptive to me. These are cases where the buyer needs to ask questions and clarify what they are buying. The only thing suspicious is that someone selling 2 kars on this site wouldn't be a better informed seller. Not having the original motor is unfortunately a pretty common situation.

• If you notice he edited the ad on 12/15/06, after I purchased the car. the original ad does NOT state "Engine has casting code but I cannot guarantee it is an original hipo motor." The original ad states " Missing carb and exhaust manifolds. All other hipo parts there."

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If you notice he edited the ad on 12/15/06, after I purchased the car. the original ad does NOT state "Engine has casting code but I cannot guarantee it is an original hipo motor." The original ad states " Missing carb and exhaust manifolds. All other hipo parts there."

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hmm, I wonder....does the database for this website have info on original and edited posts? If so, that may be helpful to your situation.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!