Cleaning/Polishing OUTSIDE of gas tank

• What can I use to clean up my tank? looks like its kind of oxidising a bit-do galvanized tanks do that? I tried a little chrome polish and it seems to work slowly.....anything better??

-BTW this is a reproduction tank about 2 years old. Thanks!

• I use 0000 wool saturated with WD40 and a good terry cloth towel and find it works well to clean up the metal without overworking the surface. Little to no pressure with the wool.

• Thanks Dave!! I'll try the steel wool-I've got some here that I used when I had paint mist on my SS wheels-Charles recomended it and it worked well on them, so I figure that with some good old WD40 my gas tank will look as good as new.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I would use Mr. Miyagi's technique, paint the fence. Shallow grooves, left hand, raised ribs, right hand. NO sand the floor or wax the car.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Funny!!! Isn't this the guy who coined the phrase "wax on-wax off"??

• I have had good luck with a product called "WICKED" metal polish. It will not destroy the tin coating on your tank, is not too difficult to use and will leave a bit of protection on the tank. The product is normally only found at Peterbuilt truck dealers but you may be able to locate it at some major truck stops. Truckers love it for cleaning the alloy on their trucks. The steel wool sounds too harsh for cleaning mild oxidation from the gas tank. It is always best to start off with the least agressive product possible and only after you are certain the corrosion will not come off should you step up the battle with a more agressive cleaner. Just one guys experience.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!