Lower Radiator hose spring

• I just bought one and wonder if I really need it? I remember in the old days if we bought a cheap hose that it would colapse and thats why Ford originally installed them-to keep lower hoses from colapsing.

I haven't driven my Kar very much yet, but plan on in the future and am just trying to be proactive.Thanks!

• for extended high rpm driving even a modern composition radiator hose might collapse without the spring. Do you anticipate extended periods of high rpm driving, or will you just be tooling around with occasional red-line encounters ?

Z.

• The original lower hoses had a spring to keep the hose from colapsing. Later replacemet hoses were made stronger and deemed not to need that additional internal support, so the spring was eliminated (parts left off are not subject to failure). Current reproduction hoses may or may not have the spring, but I salvaged a couple a while back and reused them if and when in the new lower hose.

Jim

• Guys, I am not really planning on any serious racing with the car just some light cruising innitially, then may be a bit of spirited driving, but nothing regular or sustained......

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Guys, I am not really planning on any serious racing with the car just some light cruising innitially, then may be a bit of spirited driving, but nothing regular or sustained......

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

then any newly made (not NOS) hose should be sufficient.

Z.

• The new hoses are pretty stiff and if you're not a particularly sporty driver or would-be road racer (like some of us wannabes) you should be fine without the spring.

• Assuming the spring does not cause any issues (please correct me if I'm wrong) then install one and forget about it.....cheap insurance IMHO.

Dave
    6S1757

• Yea, I'm thinking on just going ahead and installing the spring, which BTW I got the stainless steel one.

I just went to do it and feel that the lower hose may have been sealed/glued with some type of sealer and of course the tower style clamps don't always want to cooperate-I'm thinking better safe than sorry-and I might just drive it a few miles on the interstate in January on a cruise during a show here.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!