Manual shifter question.

• I ordered a new shifter for my 65 k and it does not have the spring and handle on on, it's just a shifter. How hard is it to change that stuff over, are there troubles with putting the springs in and should I buy a new spring? What else should I plan on doing to it?

Thanks

• In regards to the spring and handle, are you referring to the reverse lockout handle and spring or the springs and inserts where the shifter handle mounts to the main shifter assembly?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Steve, that was what I was afraid of. The lockout handle, cable and spring normally come with a new shift handle. It sounds to me that yours is incomplete. You might check with wherever you bought it to see if the have one that is complete. Is it possible that you ended up with a 3 speed handle by mistake?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks Fred, I ended up not keeping it. I do need to do something with mine, as it is pretty beat up. I guess I can use it and see what else I can find down the road. The handle on mine works fine, I was just trying to get everything done inside the car so that I didn't have to touch it anymore and I could just deal with the exterior and motor stuff.

• +2 on Bill Heeley!!!! he has a "swap-out" program on the chrome handles-he usually has rebuilt and rechromed ones in stock and just swaps out with the ones sent him with shifters for rebuilding-I certainly wasn't sentimental about that part of my shifter when I sent it to him and its just easier in the long run-Bill is THE man when it comes to Ford shifters for sure!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!