Argent Color on Styled Steel Wheels

• I am touching up the paint on an original (11/64) styled steel 14" wheel (Kelsey Hayes).

Has anyone found a rattle can color and brand that produces a match for this, either parts store or dealer product?

• Charles:

I couldn't get the PM to work. Yes, I would like the paint code since I am going for a perfect match. Shooting the color on the paint isn't working, since the patch is too small to get an effective reading.

I will also look at VHT colors, try the Ford place, etc. Appreciate your help, guys!

• I tried the Ford Argent in spray can and it is too silvery. The original has a bit of brown in it, more like cinnamon than bronze.

I'll go see if a paint shop has a closer match. If anyone else has gone this road and has a solution, please speak up.

• I fiddled around with paint mixes at my local paint store. After 3 tries we came up with one that was close, in case anyone wants to dabble with this further. This is what we did:

Plasi-Kote Universal Blend paint

Color: Light Brownstone Metallic (code 27395) - used PPC

Ingredients:

M126 32.2

M108 32.2

M127 26.8

M117 16.1

M134 10.6

M121 0.4

M119 0.2

M102 5.0

M103 134.1

Plus 4 drops Jet Black 802

After doing this, it was REAL close to the original color on my wheels, enough that only a hard look would detect the difference. In small spots and scratches it does not show a difference. I think 2 more drops of Jet Black would seal the deal for larger area repaints.

In summary, the color in the early 65 wheels isn't really argent - it's more brown than silver. Instead of starting with a dark silver and adding brown, I ended up starting with a mild cinammon brown and tinting it with black and silver.

Hope this helps someone else touching up their early styled steel wheels!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!