K resto blog update

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

awesome!

i make pdf files of all your updates

for future reference for my restoration

hope you don't mind

dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

No problem, but keep in mind that this is a San Jose car and there are many subtle differences between other assembly plants.

• Charles your Kar is looking fine your standards are ones to follow for sure , glad the water pump went to good home. i would love to see your Kar when its done , do you plan to take it to Ford Carlisle in the future. Chuck.

• as always

enjoy your updates

is your car just a 'plain' K convertible?

ie not GT and no pony interior?

look forward to more pics of it done.

iowa

Edited by - iowa on 09/06/2010 07:05:40

• Congratulations on getting the car finished in time, and for your accolades. You deserve it!!! How many hours did the judges spend on this car?

• 30-45 minutes?? That doesn't seem like nearly enough time to verify all the details that goes into a restoration like that??? Verify 16 pts/minute??

• As I posted earlier, they had already looked at the car quite a bit before they did the actual judging. If they had walked up fresh, without viewing it previously, I would suspect it would have taken an hour or more. The judges are also very experienced, so that probably helped things move along quicker.

• Wow - nice pics and great work. I learned a few things from these detailed shots. Namely, that I cleaned off too much crud when I detailed my own underhood compartment (: Why did the factory goop up the radiator support around the horn wiring and such?

I also find it interesting how the carpet lines up with the firewall pad. I always thought it slipped slightly under the pad to hide the cut lines.

• That horn wire black-out with sound deadener is only a San Jose thing. The other plants usually just used a black brush to get them, or didn't do anything at all.

Carpet always goes on top of the firewall pad. The one in the K convertible is repro, which received a deduction. Will continue to look for a correct original or NOS.

Edited by - caspian65 on 09/07/2010 12:58:13

• My Dearborn '66 vert also had a gop or two of sealer on the high side of the engine firewall. I see you left yours there, so I knew exactly what it was in your picture. What I didn't see in your pictures were any nice thick paint runs on the shock towers and/or radiator support (:

When I cleaned up my radiator support, I also had some interesting things I couldn't figure out on the driver side front that didn't quite clean up easily. I just painted over it. I should have done more exploration. I could have had some sound deadener in there like your car shows? My horn wires were full of crud, but I thought it was age and gunk. I cleaned it all off. I did find original body color overspray on the tops of the frame rails and inner firewall area from the engine compartment when I started stripping it that I painted over (black).

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Carpet always goes on top of the firewall pad. The one in the K convertible is repro, which received a deduction. Will continue to look for a correct original or NOS.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

What vendor did you use for the carpet? I see it has no toe pad, but the heel pad seems to actually sit correctly on the floor, and not creep up the hump like most other installs of crappy carpet I've seen (including both of my cars!)

• The carpet is ACC, in what I believe is the new Ralylon material. It actually looks and fits very well. But, for the Thoroughbred, I should have the correct carpet in the car.

I did cut the carpet a little short on the LH front. I used an original carpet to cut the new one, but the mold at the seat riser was a little different and nixed me.

• Also, it looks like you used the rubber cover for the high beam switch. I have always seen the switches without the cover, so I left it out of my last job. I suppose I should find it....

Also, it looks like you used the rubber cover for the high beam switch. I have always seen the switches without the cover, so I left it out of my last job. I suppose I should find it....

The cover was supposed to be used on convertibles only.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!