Kick panel screws

• I have really pushed the boat out and bought 4 shiney screws to fix my loose kick panels.

Trouble is I have no idea where they go as there are no holes.

Would some kind person tell me where to drill with measurements etc

Thanks

'65 Fastback

Edited by - cobraboy on 11/29/2009 17:54:41

• No holes in the car at all??

Some of the panels will have screw holes identified. If yours don't, before you set about the task of drilling new holes in the sheet metal you might want to double checkt to see if you can find the old holes first. Depending on the year and model you wil have either two or three holes present from the original installations. If you are comfortable that those locations are accure you can cut the heads off some old sheet metal screws and point the shafts, then use them to transfer the locations to the panel. If you crop the screws to about 3/8" in length and install them with your fingers or a small plier you can use them as a transfer punch pretty effectively.

Edited by - round2K on 11/29/2009 17:58:42

• Dave

A cunning plan, I did look behind the panel but saw several possible holes that could be used and wondered if there was a definitive stock location

Thanks

Mark

BTW looks like I have repop panels - no holes in panels

Edited by - cobraboy on 11/29/2009 18:03:23

• Cobraboy,

If you send me your email address, I can send you a picture

of the location of the 3 screws that all 65 Shelbys I have seen

have. Can't post images here. Will give you a good view on where to

look for the holes in your car.

/Bo

• Great mark,

If we now could find out which cars got three screws and which got only two with the upper one in a different location as well.

My early May 65 Shelby has three holes as does my Feb. 65 C-Code coupe. Magazines showing 65 Shelbys from Dec. 64 also have three holes.

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Great mark,

If we now could find out which cars got three screws and which got only two with the upper one in a different location as well.

My early May 65 Shelby has three holes as does my Feb. 65 C-Code coupe. Magazines showing 65 Shelbys from Dec. 64 also have three holes.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I believe 3 screws were used for much of '65 production, but do not know a changeover date. Probably could do some reference checking to find some clues.

• I misread the document! Sorry. This is from the Ford Factory Assembly manual, Interior (Mustang) dated 5 - 25 - 65, and can be viewed on page 11 of the FAM Interior Manual. Body engineering trim manual, T5-8410. "Effective with CZT1-A
    <hr class="bbcode_rule" />
    . Screw - 2 required, was 3, revised drawing. (says it supeceeds 3-17 65) Sorry to start a mix up on this matter, it is plain that the two screw kick panels were noted in the assembly manuals on 5-20-65, not the date I noted in the previous post. Got in a hurry and Bos is correct

• Just speculation, but I think that the drawing mentioned as superceeded and was dated 3 - 17 - 65 indicated the change to the deluxe interior kick panels. That may give a clue to when the factory began the "pony" interior, or may confirm what is already known about that date.

• When I looked behind my pass kick panel there were 4 holes drilled in the sheetmetal.

Two verticaly in line about 2" in front of the door opening.

One slightly higher and further forward than the last top hole.

One in the bottom forward corner.

I am confused by the dates mentioned. Did it change from 3 to 2 and when?

How many screws in my 13th April 1965 car?

Edited by - cobraboy on 12/08/2009 13:52:03

• According to page 11 of the 1965 Mustang Interior factory assembly manual (Jim Osborn Publications), the foot note in the lower left corner the change from 3 to 2 screws is dated 5-20-65. It notes "2 required, was 3, revised drawing. I am unable to scan and post this page.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!