Dash Pad, replacement or original

• My "K" code came from the factory with Ivy Gold and White pony interior. The original dash pad has no cracks but has some slight "buckling" along the front edge near the front windshield. The trim does not completely cover the "buckling". It is, of course a green dash pad. Apparently the green dash is no longer available from suppliers any more as a reproduction.

My question is whether to use my original dash pad or go with a reproduction pad like black or white and re-dye. I want to place the front windshield in the car but want to wait until a decision on the dash pad can be made.

Suggestions please.

I will be at the Raleigh show on the fourth and could provide pictures. I also need to know the correct color for the lower trim between the windshield and the dash pad. Is it light or medium Ivy gold? The radio speaker is mush darker green than any other color in the interior. Does anyone know what color would be correct for that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• I have a Ford Tooling repro green dash pad in my ivy gold/white Pony interior car; didn't realize this color is no longer listed. It might be worth calling around to a number of suppliers to see if they still have one in stock. I assume you have tried both NPD and VA Mustang?

The metal trim at the base of the windshield matches the radio speaker grill and I would say both are painted with what is sold as medium Ivy Gold metallic.

Maybe someone more expert than I (Murf?) would add comments.

• Rockhouse66

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried suppliers that I know of including NPD and Vir. Classic Mustang with no success. I have even been checking out e-bay as well.

The speaker grille on my car is much darker than medium Ivy gold and that shade on my grille is original to the car.

• You might try putting the original pad out in the sun for a few hours and then install it. You might be able to pull the corners down enough to get the trim on. Worth a shot to try at least once.

Otherwise, your options are to locate an NOS one or dye an original or NOS one.

The radio speaker grille and the moldings should be the same color, which will be a close match to the color of the dash pad.

• Maybe this will help you. The correct paint number in RM for the speaker grille AND the lower WS molding is 5756, Also I think that the WS posts along with the little clips that retain the headliner (found at the top of the WS posts and retained with one screw in a counter sunk hole in the clip) should be this darker color as well. Charles is correct when he says these parts are a color in the same family as the dash pad. NPD used the RM paint code for many of their interior rattle can identification, so look in their catalog and place an "AP" in front of the RM number for paint or "VP" in front of the number for vinyl dye. As an example the NPD part number for the product for your grille and moldings and WS posts and clip would be AP-5756. The dye for your dash pad if you need to order it from NPD would thus be VP-5756. You are correct that the color name is Medium Ivy Gold. I think that Va. Mustang lists the colors only by name. Also your nearby paint store may be able to mix paint and fill a rattle can for you by crossing the RM paint code of 5657. These older numbers are getting difficult to convert to modern paint, most paint stores now want to give you just a basecoat mix which seldom matches anything that Ford used. The rattle cans are in most cases a better color match. The color you are working with will drive you nuts. The present seat covers for this trim code are awful as far as color match is concerned. TMI missed the color by a mile so be prepared for a bad experience when the seats look shabby and are a different hue than the correct colors in the rest of your interior. The color you are searching for is sort of an "olive" color and darker and more flat in sheen compared to the other color of green used in this interior, sometimes listed as "light ivy green" by the retailers. For what it is worth, the running horse panels in the original seats were also this olive color when originally manufactured. Good luck duplicating that aspect of your interior restoration. Maybe one of the major vendors who reads this will help you get some covers made that have the correct colors.

Edited by - Murf on 06/30/2009 10:59:11

• Thanks Charles and Murf for the great replys. As usual your assistance is greatly appreciated. I will bring the windshield trim and the speaker grille to Raleigh to let at least you Charles what I have. Murf, I don't know if you will be there.

Russell

• Just went out and looked at my 65 fastback with Ivy Gold and White pony interior. Like yours, my dash pad is green (as is the speaker grill and lower trim). The windshield post and related trim pieces on the post are ivy gold, not green like the dash pad, lower trim and speaker grill. Also like yours mine is not smooth along the base by the windshield on the drivers side. Let me know if you try the sun trick and if you have any luck.

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!