Motive Industries Exhaust

• I purchased the concours exhaust system from Motive Industries at the suggestion of several members here for my LATE JULY 1965 Dearborn K and was told by my restorer that it wasn't all that great fitting of a system based on all the hype I'd heard and that they had to take some of it to a local muffler shop and have it tweeked differently so it would fit right-I have no way of knowing just how bad the system was or if this was a hoax-the system is installed on my car looks nice and sounds great-(just as good as the earlier Arvinode system being talked about on here) anyone else have to resort to taking the MOTIVE system to a muffler shop for alterations? I really expected it to fit well right out of the box!

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 06/28/2009 23:45:22

• We sell Motive Industries products, and I have to say that Steve is a great guy, makes excellent products, and is one of our best suppliers. This particular system is probably the the most difficult system to fit up and install plus due to the rarity of the early cars, very, very few of them are ever sold. There is also an issue with fitting these if one does not have your original tail pipe hangers for this specific system.

My car is an August '64 production convertible, and I have personally fit up one of these and tweaking was required to make it fit perfectly.

You indicate that it is now installed and looks/sounds nice, so I'm not sure what questions you would have; but I can assure you that Motive Industries Exhaust Systems are overall excellent products.

-Brant

Virginia Classic Mustang Inc

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have Motive exhaust on my car, there is loose baffle inside the RH muffler that knocks/bangs disappointed in the quality.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The mufflers are made by a very reputable company for Motive, but obviously things like this can happen. We have sold hundreds of sets and have never had a problem with mufflers as you describe. If it did occur though, I am sure that it is something that could be taken care of and replaced.

-Brant

• I used to have Motive's transverse dual system on my car and it wasn't easy to fit, but I eventually was able to make it all work. I spoke with them about it and they said that they did not have a car to test it on before it went into production. There are very few reproduction exhaust systems that will work out of the box; they all require some adjusting to get them to fit. Once I had the system dialed it it sounded great.

Motive is trying to meet the demands of a very small segment of the market at a fair price. No one is willing to pay what it costs to deliver a perfect product, which is why you probably won't find one. I was happy to have new parts to work with and was able to get it right with a little craftsmanship.

Edited by - round2K on 06/11/2009 17:30:15

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have Motive exhaust on my car, there is loose baffle inside the RH muffler that knocks/bangs disappointed in the quality.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The mufflers are made by a very reputable company for Motive, but obviously things like this can happen. We have sold hundreds of sets and have never had a problem with mufflers as you describe. If it did occur though, I am sure that it is something that could be taken care of and replaced.

-Brant

Great, Can you forward a contact at Motive that can resolve my concern?

• This is all very interesting as I was not far away from needing an exhaust and was considering Motive. I have loose baffles in the system I have, and with it being fully welded have had to part the pipes to do some panel beating on the top of the mufflers to quieten it

Would someone who has bought a concours correct system for an April '65 GT be kind enough to list the Motive part numbers I need for a full system from the manifold back. Also 2" or 2.25" which is the way to go ? Thanks

• 66GTK: How long ago did you buy and install your system? mine was bought and installed about 9 months ago.

If Motive was making a system that they were having no complaints about why would they switch to something else? are they being forced to have their systems made overseas now??

• [/quote]

Great, Can you forward a contact at Motive that can resolve my concern?

[/quote]

Steve is the owner. Give him a call at 860-423-2064. You may have to wait until Monday now.

66GTK: How long ago did you buy and install your system? mine was bought and installed about 9 months ago.

If Motive was making a system that they were having no complaints about why would they switch to something else? are they being forced to have their systems made overseas now??

No changes in manufacturing or quality over the last many years. Just like everything else, you may get a defective part once in a while.

This is all very interesting as I was not far away from needing an exhaust and was considering Motive. I have loose baffles in the system I have, and with it being fully welded have had to part the pipes to do some panel beating on the top of the mufflers to quieten it

Would someone who has bought a concours correct system for an April '65 GT be kind enough to list the Motive part numbers I need for a full system from the manifold back. Also 2" or 2.25" which is the way to go ? Thanks

The original system was 2". Each dealer that handles Motive products will have their own part number. Motive does not sell direct to retail customers.

• OK, So some have had good luck with the Motive system and some (like mine) had fit issues, this tells me at the very least that Motive's quality control is lacking, or like I asked before may be their stuff has been sent overseas for production to try & save money.

tells me at the very least that Motive's quality control is lacking, or like I asked before may be their stuff has been sent overseas for production to try & save money.

Again, I don't believe the quality is lacking and the production definitely has not been sent overseas. This is a fairly small company that makes a great product at a reasonable price. The owner really cares about his product and takes care of his customers. I know, because I deal with hundreds of suppliers in this industry, and he is one of the good ones.

Honestly, I would not go on about this in this forum if I did not feel so strongly about it. I find it best to usually just stay out of these types of discussions, particularly when folks are just speculating about things, which is definitely the case here.

I'll just leave it at that. If anyone has an issue with any of Motive's products, please go directly to the source (as I previously posted), call the dealer that you purchased the product from, or call me. The problem can and will be resolved.

As I mentioned before, there are lots of variables involved in installing any part, particularly exhaust systems. Parts can be defective once in a while from even the best suppliers/manufacturers. The key is if the particular supplier or manufacturer really cares about making a good product and wants to take care of one that there is a problem with. Steve at Motive does all of this. Give him a call to discuss it, and you will find that this is the case.

-Brant

Virginia Classic Mustang Inc

540-896-2695

66GTK: How long ago did you buy and install your system? mine was bought and installed about 9 months ago.

Purchased and installed in 2003-2004

• Mine was purchased in 2008 and installed in 2009 what could be different from then to now execpt a change in manufacturer or a qc issue?

Edited by - 6hypo5conv on 06/13/2009 16:07:34

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!