Concours Service Decal

• Heres a pic of the Concours service recommendation decal compared to an old repro one. Size is different, printing is much better, lineweight is finer, material its printed on seems like a metal foil. Looking at picture of my Koupe from the old days it always kept jumping out at me. now I'm happy with the more original look. Made by ECS and I got it from NPD along with some of their other concours decals, all are superior in quality.

[Blocked Image: http://i43.tinypic.com/2yv52fn.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/qqzntw.jpg]

• I notice that the one in the picture is installed vertically and mine was installed horizontally- does it matter? or is it possibly assembly plant specific?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I notice that the one in the picture is installed vertically and mine was installed horizontally- does it matter? or is it possibly assembly plant specific?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It varied from car to car but was typically in the horizontal position. I only deviate from horizontal if I know the original orientation of the one on the car I'm restoring... and have a pic to back it up!

• You know this brings up a good point I think:

Back in the 60s on the assembly line I think the folks slapping our cars together never ever thought in a million years that WE would be restoring them as we are today, and certainly never gave it a thought about how they applied a decal, sticker, or even how they alligned a body panel, or even how much dum-dum putty they applied in areas of a given car, I think these cars were very primitive at best and what we are trying to do today is duplicate that primitiveness (if thats a word)and sometimes thats harder than just spending hours lets say measuring known original cars for "correct" placement of these stickers, and alligning body panels that sometimes can't be made perfect....

• You know, I remember looking at an old '66 Coupe, probably 20 years ago, that had the service instruction decal originally mounted upside down on the fender apron (not the shock tower.) Unfortunately, this was before the days of documenting it with a quick digital image.

-Brant

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

You know this brings up a good point I think:

Back in the 60s on the assembly line I think the folks slapping our cars together never ever thought in a million years that WE would be restoring them as we are today, and certainly never gave it a thought about how they applied a decal, sticker, or even how they alligned a body panel, or even how much dum-dum putty they applied in areas of a given car, .

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

According to the workers I've talked to there were expectations as to where and how things (even as small as decals) were to be installed and people who checked. Of course some got through and in some cases a little variety but as its been explained to me workers feel into doing things by memory as they didn't have much time to think about things with the rate the cars were going by. They found what worked and what was comfortable, quick and what didn't get kicked back and most of the time stuck to it.

As far as fit - I can't believe how well many of the the original cars fit together - wish some of my new car's body panels were that well aligned

Just a couple of observations/experiances

As far as fit - I can't believe how well many of the the original cars fit together - wish some of my new car's body panels were that well aligned

Agree with Jeff. On the last few cars I have done with all original sheet metal, the fit has been very nice. The K convertible going together now has amazing door to quarter lines.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!