Emergency brake cable question

• My '65 "K" code was missing the emergency brake cables when I bought the car. The car's build date is June '65. I have a doner car, a '65 "A" code from San Jose with a build date of mid May '65. I was able to retrieve one of the emergence brake cables from this car but the other was un-usable. I have several question re: these cables.

1. In locating another original cable for my '65 K, does it need to come from a 8 cyl. car or will one from a '65 6 cyl. car work or is it "K" specific?

2. Is there a difference between the left and right cable on these '65 cars?

3. Can I assume the the cable is routed in the "groove" stamped into the floor pan and between the rear frame rail rather than being routing to the outside of the frame rail.

4. I have the left and right clamps that bolt to the inside of the frame rail that hold the cable in place. This clamp actually connects to the cable between the black rubber sheave around the metal cable.

5. I have two more clamps that are identical that attach with one 5/16 X18 bolt each that go to the outside of the frame rail near the cable , according to my notes, but not sure exactly where.

Any assistance to these questions would be appreciated. You may also direct any response to my e-mail address at htpratt@earthlink.net.

Thanks for any assistance.

Russell

• Please note that so called Ford NOS replacement

cables are different from the factory installed

ones. They only have one rubber sleeve.

Many uears ago I bought two NOS cables in boxes

and ended up cleaning my originals instead.

/Bo

• Is there a difference in the cable from an 8 cyl.car and a 6 cyl. or are they the same?

Any pictures out there showing the clamp on the outside of the frame holding the cable. I know how and where the clamp on the inside side of the frame goes.

I can only assume that it does go through the "groove" between the frame rail and the floor like the pictures show but what about that out side clamp. It is an "L" shaped bracket with the top dished in. If I new how to post a picture of the bracket, I would.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!