JULY 1965 GT Exhaust??

• OK, Thanks Round2K!! so NPD has the best most accurate reproduction on the market?? this is good to hear because there is a location that is close to my restorer.

• OK, Motive: Is this the brand/manufacturer that NPD sells?? how can I be sure that I get this brand regardless of who I buy it from? is this the best reproduction system on the market? Thanks!

• Ask.... I know K.A.R. sells Motive though they are a little pricey, I believe NPD does as well although they may carry another manufacturer along with the Motive so be sure to specify you want the Motive.

• Thanks for the link to the Motive site.....I'm looking at the charts and see the flowmaster and some other turbo mufflers....do they not carry a completely stock/original type muffler??

• I have looked more at the Motive site and figured out that they DO offer a complete stock/original system.

My question is would my JULY 1965 Dearborn built K convertible get the system WITH or WITHOUT the resonators?? I know it DOES NOT use the earlier transverse muffler system that was used on 64.5 cars, but am unsure as to the date that the system used the resonators....anyone know??

• Motive is one of several vendors that distributes their exhaust systems through NPD. The straight through GT duals with the resonators replaced the Arvinode system in late March of '65, and there are several companie reproducing them as they are the most common Mustang dual exhuast system.

If you own a HiPo there were three possible exhaust systems:

Start of production until 10/15/64: transverse duals.

10/15/64 until 3/22/65: Arvinode.

3/22/65 through '67: straight through GT duals.

There are some conflicting dates in the Ford parts books about the transistion from the Arvinode over to the GT duals; 3/22/65 or 4/2/65. Sor far the latest car we have found with an Arvinode is from late March.

• "Start of production until 10/15/64: transverse duals.

10/15/64 until 3/22/65: Arvinode."

Is the 10/15/64 date for the end of transverse to beginning of Arvinode locked in stone?

Also, I know the Arvinode has been discussed extensively, and thanks to you Dave in paricular for recreating the system. The setup on my fastback is long gone. What are the differences in rear frame rail exhaust hanger placement between the transverse system and the Arvinode? Do these differences even exist? Sorry, if I've changed the discussion somewhat. Thanks, Alex

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>"Is the 10/15/64 date for the end of transverse to beginning of Arvinode locked in stone?" <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>If we look at Ford's history of supplying parts before and after "cut-off" dates we know that it's definitely NOT cast in stone:)

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>"What are the differences in rear frame rail exhaust hanger placement between the transverse system and the Arvinode? Do these differences even exist?"<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> No difference; frame rail mounting parts are in the same place for the transverse and the Arvinode. The relocation toward the rear of the car and the frame rail reinforcements for GT dual exhaust hangers didn't happen until March of '65.

**One study that we need to undertake relative to the GT duals is when Ford made the change from the early mounting points in the center of the frame rail to the rear of the frame rail. Logic would dictate that the change would coincide with introduction of the GT option that included the straight through GT duals. We need to include exploration of the earliest GT cars for the rear exhaust hanger mounting points and the reinforcements that are inside the frame rails.**

Edited by - round2K on 10/15/2008 20:19:39

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Motive is one of several vendors that distributes their exhaust systems through NPD. The straight through GT duals with the resonators replaced the Arvinode system in late March of '65, and there are several companie reproducing them as they are the most common Mustang dual exhuast system.

If you own a HiPo there were three possible exhaust systems:

Start of production until 10/15/64: transverse duals.

10/15/64 until 3/22/65: Arvinode.

3/22/65 through '67: straight through GT duals.

There are some conflicting dates in the Ford parts books about the transistion from the Arvinode over to the GT duals; 3/22/65 or 4/2/65. Sor far the latest car we have found with an Arvinode is from late March.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

As Dave has confirmed, there are several vendors that distribute their exhaust systems through NPD. Evidently I received one of the "other" vendors h-pipes from NPD after I poked a hole in mine loading the kar onto a trailer. It didn't fit worth squat and unfortunately we destroyed it trying to make it fit so I couldn't return it. Bought another h-pipe from K.A.R. (where I purchased my original system) and it fit like a glove. I will reiterate, if you purchase your exhaust from NPD BE SURE TO SPECIFY YOU WANT THE MOTIVE SYSTEM - NO SUBSTITUTIONS! They are the only ones that I've found that fit right.

• Has anyone bought a system recently?? if so who did you buy from and if I may how much $$ I'm looking at a listing on Ebay from Laurel Mountain Mustang (where I bought the great repro speedo cable) and they APPEAR to be selling the Motive kit for $329.00 plus shipping, I have sent an Email to check on this, its my understanding that I need the MOTIVE kit# C5ZZ-5257WRS WITH RESONATORS!! (Thanks again Charles)

• FYI: ALL, I just got confirmation from Laurel Mountain Mustang that the system they are selling on Ebay IS the MOTIVE system for LATE 1965 UP cars this is the 100% correct stock system (NO FLOWMASTERS) and from manifolds to MY GT trumpets its $329.00 plus $46.00 shipping which totals $375.00 in my book, and given what it is and the quality of the MOTIVE stuff I personally think that IS a good price! (I'm going to get them to throw in a set of correct nuts for the manifold studs)

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Are the "H" pipes the same for standard 289s v/s the HIPO manifolds?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>No the 'H' pipes are unique to each application.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://i37.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!