Here We Go Again...

• Here's yet another 1964 K code "289 High Performance" Comet for sale on eBay. This one even has an automatic transmission! Wow! Note the standard 2 digit DSO code, a sure sign this car was never a real HiPo. The standard harmonic balancer and vacuum advance distributor say it all..Nice looking car, but really NOT as advertized.

<center>

</center>

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 03/18/2007 22:35:42

• They are nice looking cars.. but i've heard the K code Comets are not K codes as a Ford would be ..K code for Mercury is something like 200 hp or 2V car.. can someone bring some light to this for me.. .. just want to clear some cobwebs.. thanks Mike in Germany..

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've heard the K code Comets are not K codes as a Ford would be ...K code for Mercury is something like 200 hp or 2V car.. can someone bring some light to this for me... Just want to clear some cobwebs...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

OK Mike, that's mostly correct. The K code '64 Mercury Comets are a low compression, regular fuel 4V 289 that is essentially the same as the D code 289 that was available on the early 64.5 Mustangs. They are by no means a rarity. Why Mercury used a K in 1964 to designate this engine is still a mystery to this day...

The true HiPo Comets are extremely few and very far between. The only real clue in the VIN is a 6 digit DSO number since these cars were only available by dealer special order. <i>A manual transmission was mandatory</i>, but there was a choice of either a 3 or a 4 speed synchomesh transmission. The 9" rear axle was either a 2.71:1 ratio with the 3 speed transmission, or a 3.89:1 with the 4 speed. Heavy duty front and rear springs, heavy duty clutch, a cast steel scattershield, larger brakes, and 14x6" wheels were included, as well as a 42 amp alternator and an optional, transistorized ignition, with an 8000 RPM tachometer. A heavy duty extra capacity radiator and 14" 4 blade fan provided the cooling.

A Lincoln-Mercury Service Bulletin, Number 3A, officially released the "271 HP" option for the 1964 Comets on 4-17-64, and this news was probably easily lost in the excitement caused by the launch of the exciting, all-new Mustang from the Ford Division at the same time. It was offered on all Comet models except the station wagon and convertible. The only positive way to identify the authenticity of one of these special Comets is to have the build sheet or original dealer invoice.

• The Comet 289 HiPo option was actually announced by Mercury's 1964 TSB #3 dated 10-4-63. This bulletin was superseded by #3A dated 4-17-64. #3 was supposed to be destroyed, but I have a copy. #3 offered only the 3-speed with 2.71:1 rear, which was essentially the Daytona Durablity Run package. #3A added a 4-speed with 3.89:1 rear option as well. As a piece of trivia, Mercury was supposed to code the 289 HiPo was "D" in the VIN, but it never happened. If they had, it would have resulted in the Comet and Mustang using opposite coding for the 289 regular-fueled 4V and the 289 HiPo. I think Mercury coded the regular 289 4V as K to cause the uninformed to think they had a "hot" engine. But, I will say that this was a great engine for around-town driving. Good motor in the Mustang, too. A heck of a lot better than the 260 2V!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The Comet 289 HiPo option was actually announced by Mercury's 1964 TSB #3 dated 10-4-63. This bulletin was superseded by #3A dated 4-17-64. #3 was supposed to be destroyed, but I have a copy. #3 offered only the 3-speed with 2.71:1 rear, which was essentially the Daytona Durablity Run package. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That makes sense...I knew that the L-M TSB #3 existed, but never had a chance to see a copy. I'll always remember the 1964 Comet ad campaign that was based on the 100,000 mile durability run staged at Daytona to show off the reliabilty of Ford's (High Performance) small block V-8. They also ran another group of "Durability" 1965 Comets from the tip of South America at Cape Horn, to Fairbanks, Alaska, in a 40 day 16,200 mile trip on the very rugged Pan American Highway system.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

#3A added a 4-speed with 3.89:1 rear option as well. As a piece of trivia, Mercury was supposed to code the 289 HiPo was "D" in the VIN, but it never happened. If they had, it would have resulted in the Comet and Mustang using opposite coding for the 289 regular-fueled 4V and the 289 HiPo. I think Mercury coded the regular 289 4V as K to cause the uninformed to think they had a "hot" engine. But, I will say that this was a great engine for around-town driving. Good motor in the Mustang, too. A heck of a lot better than the 260 2V!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The "phantom Mercury D code" was continued in the manuals for 1965. My 1965 Mercury Master Parts Book refers to specific 289 HiPo engine, drivetrain, and suspension parts for use on Comets with "Warranty Code D". Oddly, the same book has NO listing in the Engine Code Section for a D code (HiPo) engine. The few authentic 1965 HiPo Comets I've seen have an A code, or are blank at the 5th position of the VIN. They all have a 6 digit DSO code.

• No it's not a K, and I don't know the reserve, but it is a bad ass looking body style, recently(?) restored, and if the right price could still be a good buy. look for the positive guys. the car is what it is and any old car is good to have at the right price. educate the seller, maybe he doesnt know better.

... it is a bad ass looking body style, recently(?) restored, and if the right price could still be a good buy.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Totally agree! It's a sharp looking body.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...look for the positive guys. the car is what it is and any old car is good to have at the right price. educate the seller, maybe he doesnt know better.

Several emails were sent to inform (and educate) the seller regarding the facts about his car. Apparently, he decided to keep his listing less than honest.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!