Styled Steel Wheels??

• My July 1965 Dearborn "K" will need wheels soon.

I want to be sure I am understanding exactly which reproduction wheels I need to get.

I BELIEVE that I need 14X5 with CHARCOAL/BLACK painted center area, with the simulated rivits-I consider my Kar a LATE 1965 and don't think the wheels with the ARGENT/SILVER painted center area are correct.

Also, I have been advised by my restorer that to be concours correct I need to get the lug nuts with the point on them, and NOT the cheaper flat ones??

Who has the best wheel thats made in the US for the money??

the Scott Drake wheels are advertisted in several catalogs to be US made?? suggestions??

• I have personally watched a styled steel wheel being welded together at Scott Drakes place in Nevada. I am unclear as to where the parts are produced prior to the welding process.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Acording to "Paul" at Scott Drake my KAR should have the Charcoal painted wheels, he says that the SCOTT DRAKE wheels carry pn#C5ZZ-1007-A for the Charcoal, and C5ZZ-1007-ARG for the Argent, so all I have to do now is get someone at a Mustang supply house to phsycally go and check the box and see what they have in stock, I sure don't want to spend the money on the wrong wheels!

• As I said in the previous post, either wheel would be "correct" for your car. Consider the possibility of them being installed by a dealer instead of ordered from the factory. Also consider that it was a relatively uncommon option and could have taken time for each of the assembly plants to deplete the argent color wheels.

• I have a March 65 car. Would the argent vs. black wheel debate apply to mine as well in a concours judging, and would I be penalized for the "wrong" choice?

I have yet to puchase my wheels. I'd appreciate some advice on what is correct, as March seems to be a gray month for some parts on this jalopy.

• RDS, I think you'd be ok with either wheel.

As Charles pointed out it just depends on what a particular assembly plant had when it came time to put the wheels on.

I understand that a way less number of cars actually got styled steel wheels at the factory.

My Kar is Black, built July 27th, 1965, so I am going to seek out the dark charcoal wheels as I think they will complement my car the best.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!