matching numbers or true hipo?

• I am restoring my convertible, and bought the car with a non-original engine. I do not know what happened to the original engine, but the car currently has a short block from an early 65 K code coupe, per the VIN stamped in the block. Should I keep this engine in the car, or should I try to build a date coded engine, albeit starting with a block that was never originally part of a HIPO? Comments and opinions are appreciated.

• I personally would keep the existing K code motor in the car. At least it is a correct K code engine and pedigree. Either way, the original block is gone.

• I would post the VIN of the motor your have - somebody out here may have the car for it. Also post it on SAAC forum or something as it may also belong to a Shelby missing it's motor. Most likely the car may have been destroyed somehow, but they are being resurected now more than ever. If you sell the engine, you could use the funds to purchase a different block (granted you are taking it all apart anyway).

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>I was faced with a similar problem with my Hipo. The entire drive line was from a Falcon. Started to gather parts to put together a Hipo equivalent engine. Fortunately, after shelling out 3/4 hundred bucks, I was able to find an almost complete 80K '65 Hipo Fairlane engine sans its' carb and timing chain cover, and later on a tranny from a Hipo Mustang coupe. Both VIN stamped.

I'd say stick with what you have. IMHO, a Heinze 57 Hipo w/stamped components trumps non geenie Hipo parts everytime. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://i37.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• All good points, which is why I am torn. If I built a numbers matching engine (without the VIN), I would still build a HIPO with the correct parts; it just wouldn't be the original engine.

• do you have any idea how long the current engine has been in the car? 20 yrs, 30 yrs. ? At least the current engine has some history with your car. I'd keep it. I don't think a different engine is going to add to value of your car significantly.

Z. Ray

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!