Can original Radiator be rebuilt as a 3 core?????

• Hi, can anyone tell me if an original 2 core San Jose 289 Mustang Radiator be rebuilt as a 3 core instead of a 2 core which is the way it came from the factory?

I'd like to keep it original and keep the original radiator. Even with a new water pump, thermostat and rebuilt 2 core radiator, my temp is running 3/4 of the way to hot.

One question is whether the fan clutch could be to blame? It is new as well but could it be acting up? It has a spring similar to what is on a carburetor choke on the front side? Can those go bad?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Wallace

• Had a local radiator shop use my original top and bottom tanks and put them on a new 3 row Modine radiator (PN#3259) and solved all of my problems on both a hipo and on a 66 thermactor car W/AC. Modine no longer makes that radiator and I have never used the one now being sold as a replacement for Mustangs, but I suspect it will work too. If not most good shops can order a three row HD core the correct size, or I imagine they can, and use your tanks. It is far more expensive this way as opposed to purchasing a ready made radiator and changing tanks. I will send you some images of doing the switch with the Modine if you want. Send me your addy (j.w.murphy@comcast.net) and I will try to send you a pictorial story on doing this.

• I had a three row radiator core put in two of my cars using the old tanks. One worked out OK, the jury is still out on the other. It's about $350, parts and labor - California prices. A friend put one in his 67 and it works ok. Plus it fooled the MCA judges. HA!

Jim

• I recently had an original SJ 4-speed radiator recored with a high-perf 2-row core called MX-2. It's slightly thicker than an OE 2-row but not as thick as a 3-row so you can use your original fan shroud brackets. It supposedly has a cooling capacity between a 3-row and 4-row.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!