65 rear housing ?

• My 66 has what I think is a 65 rear housing. It does have a smooth back to it, but should there be any casting numbers inside or out of the housing? I know the springs are incorrect they are C7ZA 5556 AR. The housing does measure correct at 52 5/16".

• Depending upon when your car was built in '66 your housing may be correct.

I've never seen numbers on the housings - but I've only seen mine and 2 others - all '65s - one was even from a '65 GT350.

Ford did a running change on many parts at various times in Mustang production - they changed to the different rear housing and dropped the special HiPo only motor mounts in early '66 - so if your car was built early in the model run it may have had the round back housing instead of the later style. Having the special HiPo motor mounts would be a good indicator of early production too - but your build date would be the best source - along with asking someone with a car built close to yours what they have installed.

• Official Post

According to the Ford parts book, the change to the later style housing was supposed to be 10/1/65 although I am sure that there are exceptions to this at different assembly plants. The Hipo motor mount change was listed as 11/1/65 and that also can vary.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

Being as it is probable that you do not have the original 66 housing, you might check the axle tube diameter to make sure that what you have is not a clone. If it is not, there will probably be someone on this forum that would like to trade.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!