hipo water pump part numbers!?

• Hello All!I hope the new year finds everyone well &happy and doing happy K code stuff!!I am wondering ,I just purchased a hipo water pump on e bay.I was so entranced by the 64 date code,that I did'nt check the part#S!According to Tony's book the part# is C5OZ-8501-A,CASTING#C5OE. I have part# C5AE-8505-C,IT HAS THE CORRECT 3 HOLE 6VANE IMPELLER!!What the heck have I bought!?aS ALWAYS i CAN TRUST YOU GUYS TO GIVE ME THE SKINNY ON THESES PARTS!!!Thanks,Randy P.S. I HOPE TO HAVE THE K AT THE SUMMER SHOW,HOPE TO SEE MANY OF YOU!!

• Tonys book has an error in regards to the C5OE-A casting number as the pump actually will have a C5AE 8505 C or D casting number depending on when it was built. Your C5AE-C casting number is correct. It will be a Ford part number C5OZ 8501 A. The Ford parts box does have the Ford engineering number of C5OE 8501 A along with the C5OZ 8501 A part number. That is probably where the confusion comes from.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• You have the correct water pump for an early 1965 289 HiPo (where production began in late 1964 which is why there is a 64 year marking). The casting number was always C5AE-8505-C. The C5AE-8505-D are later service replacement pumps. The D is generally superimposed over the C. The C5OE number comes from the engineering number which was for the 289 HiPo water pump assembly and not related to the pump housing casting number.

There was a C5OE-8505-B water pump housing which is cast iron and came out in late 1965 production. But, even before the end of 1965 production, the C6OE-A pumps were in production. So, very late 1965 engines could have C6OE-A water pumps from the factory. This is one of the reasons the C5OE-8505-B pumps are so rare -- they were only used for a few months. Both these pump housings were used for standard 289 and 289 HiPo water pumps.

Most water pumps have been rebuilt by now. The only difference between standard 1965 289 water pumps and the HiPo was the impeller. The standard had 8 vanes (four holes) and HiPos had six vanes (three holes). Both were the same diameter at just under 4 inches. When the rebuilder was rebuilding water pumps, he could use any applicable impeller he wanted. Many were rebuilt with the 6 vane impellers. That is why 289 HiPo water pumps show up more often that it seems they should -- they are standard water pumps rebuilt with the six-vane impeller.

The small block water pump was a very efficient pump. I believe that the six-vane impellers were used by some rebuilders to reduce the efficiency and decrease the likeihood of water cavitation. Erosion of the aluminum timing chain cover was a common problem associated with cavitation, particularly if the water was dirty.

But, the relative availability of the six-vane impellers is good news for us 289 HiPo owners. If you get the impeller and the right casting number on the pump, a rebuilder can put the two together for you.

As a side note, the 289 HiPo 6-vane impeller should not be mistaken for the common six-vane impeller used on all 1962-63 small blocks (221, 260, and 289). This impeller measure 4.7" in diameter. On a 289 HiPo, it will produced increased cavitation at high rpm.

• THANKS ALOT BOB&66ZZ!!!!You guys are great!I bought the pump from 65 SPECIAL K,and I believe him to be very knowledgeable,trustworthy and a great guy to deal with(ultra fast shipping!)So I really didn't check any part numbers.I was reading Tony's book and was surprised to see a different part#!!I have had my K for over 16 yrs,and unfortunately my restoration budget is slim due to my inability to work fulltime and caring for a disabled wife and son.I am desparately still trying to do my car right,with the most correct parts!I very much appreciate all your help cos I just don't have alot of xtra time!!!Thanks again!Randy

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

You have the correct water pump for an early 1965 289 HiPo (where production began in late 1964 which is why there is a 64 year marking). The casting number was always C5AE-8505-C. The C5AE-8505-D are later service replacement pumps. The D is generally superimposed over the C. The C5OE number comes from the engineering number which was for the 289 HiPo water pump assembly and not related to the pump housing casting number.

There was a C5OE-8505-B water pump housing which is cast iron and came out in late 1965 production. But, even before the end of 1965 production, the C6OE-A pumps were in production. So, very late 1965 engines could have C6OE-A water pumps from the factory. This is one of the reasons the C5OE-8505-B pumps are so rare -- they were only used for a few months. Both these pump housings were used for standard 289 and 289 HiPo water pumps.

Most water pumps have been rebuilt by now. The only difference between standard 1965 289 water pumps and the HiPo was the impeller. The standard had 8 vanes (four holes) and HiPos had six vanes (three holes). Both were the same diameter at just under 4 inches. When the rebuilder was rebuilding water pumps, he could use any applicable impeller he wanted. Many were rebuilt with the 6 vane impellers. That is why 289 HiPo water pumps show up more often that it seems they should -- they are standard water pumps rebuilt with the six-vane impeller.

The small block water pump was a very efficient pump. I believe that the six-vane impellers were used by some rebuilders to reduce the efficiency and decrease the likeihood of water cavitation. Erosion of the aluminum timing chain cover was a common problem associated with cavitation, particularly if the water was dirty.

But, the relative availability of the six-vane impellers is good news for us 289 HiPo owners. If you get the impeller and the right casting number on the pump, a rebuilder can put the two together for you.

As a side note, the 289 HiPo 6-vane impeller should not be mistaken for the common six-vane impeller used on all 1962-63 small blocks (221, 260, and 289). This impeller measure 4.7" in diameter. On a 289 HiPo, it will produced increased cavitation at high rpm.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi I have a genuine OEM Ford cast iron water pump that has these castings on it "FoMoCo" (bordered) and "C5OE" and "8505B" and "15" (ie. C5OE-8505-B ).

I bought it as a reconditioned water pump but have not used it.

It was rebuilt at "VAPEX" (an acronym for "Vernon Auto Parts Exchange") in California.

I can see that it has a new genuine OEM Ford 8 van impeller fitted which has these castings on it "C8OE" and "8512" and "A" (ie. C8OE-8512-A).

Just wondered what you think is a fair market price for it?

I realise it doesn't have the corect 6 van HiPo impeller fitted.

Edited by - 68-Coupe on 08/18/2010 01:05:10

• These pumps are very rare as they were used for only about a month. They first came out in June 1965, but were quickly superseded by the C6OE-A pump even before the end of 65 production. As to impellers, they can easily be changed by a rebuilder. There are quite a few 6-vane 4" impellers (HiPo-type) out there. Knowing all this, some rebuilders use these impellers on water pumps with desireable casting numbers and sell them as HiPo water pumps for significant money. For someone who has a Mustang made in June 65 with L8 on the engine tag, the C5OE-8505B water pump is the one they need for concours-correct restoration. With so few serviving, they are extremely difficult to find. I think I have come across only two in the last 20 years. (unlike the C6OE-A pump which is easy to find because it was used for about 2½ years). So, you have a very limited market (low demand) and a rare part (limited supply). The two balance each other for value (based on supply and demand), but I consider a rebuildable one worth about $100. Swap out the impeller for the correct on for a HiPo (about 2" depth, 4" diameter, and 6-vanes with three round holes) and you could at least double that to the right person.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

These pumps are very rare as they were used for only about a month. They first came out in June 1965, but were quickly superseded by the C6OE-A pump even before the end of 65 production. As to impellers, they can easily be changed by a rebuilder. There are quite a few 6-vane 4" impellers (HiPo-type) out there. Knowing all this, some rebuilders use these impellers on water pumps with desireable casting numbers and sell them as HiPo water pumps for significant money. For someone who has a Mustang made in June 65 with L8 on the engine tag, the C5OE-8505B water pump is the one they need for concours-correct restoration. With so few serviving, they are extremely difficult to find. I think I have come across only two in the last 20 years. (unlike the C6OE-A pump which is easy to find because it was used for about 2½ years). So, you have a very limited market (low demand) and a rare part (limited supply). The two balance each other for value (based on supply and demand), but I consider a rebuildable one worth about $100. Swap out the impeller for the correct on for a HiPo (about 2" depth, 4" diameter, and 6-vanes with three round holes) and you could at least double that to the right person.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thank you.

I really appreciate you having given me your time to reply.

It all makes sense - yes I have a very rare part but then this is counter acted by a limited demand due to such low K code build numbers in this 3+ month period & then of "those" people building a K code engine I need at least two of them to want/need it for a concours/thoroughbred car to drive up the price.

Happy to be contacted by any of these ("those") people.

Thanks again.

Edited by - 68-Coupe on 08/21/2010 18:40:12

These pumps are very rare as they were used for only about a month. They first came out in June 1965, but were quickly superseded by the C6OE-A pump even before the end of 65 production. As to impellers, they can easily be changed by a rebuilder. There are quite a few 6-vane 4" impellers (HiPo-type) out there. Knowing all this, some rebuilders use these impellers on water pumps with desireable casting numbers and sell them as HiPo water pumps for significant money. For someone who has a Mustang made in June 65 with L8 on the engine tag, the C5OE-8505B water pump is the one they need for concours-correct restoration. With so few serviving, they are extremely difficult to find. I think I have come across only two in the last 20 years. (unlike the C6OE-A pump which is easy to find because it was used for about 2½ years). So, you have a very limited market (low demand) and a rare part (limited supply). The two balance each other for value (based on supply and demand), but I consider a rebuildable one worth about $100. Swap out the impeller for the correct on for a HiPo (about 2" depth, 4" diameter, and 6-vanes with three round holes) and you could at least double that to the right person.

Hi it would seem as though these water pumps are worth alot more in the market place ie. $400 for a reconditioned original "C5OE-8505-B" cast iron water pump.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10692

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

"kar-nut" Posted - 10/17/2010 :

RARE Remanufactured C5OE-8505-B Cast Iron Water Pump $400.00 to your door.

SOLD 3 days later.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!