66 blue steering wheel paint color

• Car is a 1966 convertible with standard interior and I would like to refinish the steering wheel. Door data plate has interior trim code "22", medium blue. My research indicates PPG paint code 12989 is a match for this medium blue. However, the steering wheel which I believe to be original to the car is a light blue or turquoise color. Can someone tell me what color the steering wheel should be for 1966 Mustang trim code 22 and if possible the PPG number for this color?

Also, for cars other than black interior, what color is the steering column tube in the engine compartment? Is the portion in the engine blacked out and the rest of the tube (inside the car) interior color?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• There is no paint code, per se, for a steering wheel since they were molded in colored plastic. My recommendation is to take your original wheel to a paint refinish supply store and ask them to match the color.

You are right though that there was a subtle contrast between the wheel and painted area of the dash.

• The entire tube is painted the interior color right into the engine compartment.

There are repair kits for steering wheels (Eastwood maybe?) that have colors with them. I've got two black interior cars and one 'Pony' interior car with a wood grain wheel so I've never had to deal with colors.

Jim

• I don't think Eastwood's kit has color with it. It has just epoxy and primer. I could swear that I've seen a kit recently that did have color - maybe carried by Mustangs Unlimited? I've wondered what kind of paint to use, since I have to repair mine. But neither Eastwood nor the magazine articles ever tell you which kind to use.

• Depending on how much repairing you need to do, consider a boat epoxy repair kit. The one I got has several colors included. I got it to fix some cracks on my console and to fix a crack in my shower stall. To be truthful, it would seem to me that paint on a steering wheel would be a lost cause.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!