Carlite Glass Replacement

• Hi all!

I want to replace the glass in our 66 K Conv. with correct concours with the correct Carlite date coded "bugs". I've been told that one must buy generic glass and have the "bugs" etched in by a Ford licensed shop. I've located several sources around the country but would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience and/or source recommendations. Any other comments would also be appreciated!

Thanks very much,

Bill

• I purchased a windsheild from P S Auto Glass, Wisconsin . The glass was great, the service was great, the shipping was great as well. I was SO HAPPY! Phone contact is Erik at 866 565 9557. He sent me a scan of the logo that they use, it matched my old one perfectly including the "color" He will date code to match your original. Price is much much better than OEM . I have purchased from OEM in the past and the glass they use as a base is - or at the time of my purchase - not the greatest, and some optical flaws were in it. Do yourself a favor and at least get a quote from P S Auto Glass. They made me very happy with every respect of the transaction. I think they have a quality operation. Others may have used them too and will endorse their product.

• While we're on the subject, let's discuss the Carlite bugs on the glass. I have a few questions:

1. Does the windshield have the same bug as the side glass, i.e., "Carlite"?

Unfortunately, mine has been discarded (broken) and I don't remember what it was. We have another 66 K-Code with an LOF bug on the WS. Could this be a replacement?

2. Does all tinted Carlite glass have, in addition to the "Carlite" logo, "SUN-X" etched beneath it on the trademark line?

I think the tinted "Carlite" with "SUN-X" is correct but not sure about the WS bug.

3. Did all convertibles come with tinted glass and WS?

Thanks,

Bill

• All glass had the Carlite logo, but only tinted glass needs the Sun-X added.

The windshield has a white imprint logo and the remaining windows are etched - at least this is the way they are on my 65 and 66 - 65 was originally clear (new tinted came from Glass place in Iowa with correct "Sun-X" logos and my datecode of choice).

My 66 was wrecked on the PS - so that glass is not original - but the back and DS glass is original Sun-X with correct datecodes - this is a factory AC car and I understand all factory AC cars had the tinted glass. Anyone else heard this?

If anyone is interested I have some photos of both the clear and Sun-X logos and can post them this weekend. I can also locate the address for the Restoration Glass place in Iowa - as I recall I waited several months for my 65 2+2 back glass - but it looked NICE when it arrived.

• Original windshields would have had the same etching as all other glass. There are some replacement Carlite windshields with a white logo that is technically not correct.

The windshield etchings are slightly different than the side and rear glass.

• The windshield etchings are slightly different than the side and rear glass.

[/quote]

OK! That's just enough info to get me into a lot of trouble!

Would the windshield bug have a "LAMINATED" etched below the "Carlite" logo? I presume they were laminated. Could also have had a "DOT" mark?

Thanks, all of you, for the input!

Bill

• And just to be clear... what I meant by the other post was that the actual etching and appearance of the windshield Carlite logo would have looked the same way as the side and rear glass (white or black logo are not correct). The actual content of the etching on the windshield was slightly different though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!