Radiator ID number (stamped on left upright)

• This question pertains to a 1965 "K" built in spring of 65.(Dearborn) What is the number stamped on the left upright of the radiator. It can be seen near the voltage regulator area, on the radiator mount facing the engine. I hope? to locate one that is correct for a car but am uncertain if the hipo had a unique engineering number stamped on it or were all radiators for 65 V8 standard shift Mustangs the same. Also looking for a bottom tank for a standard shift Mustang if anyone has one laying around. If you still have your original rad from a hipo would you please check it out for this info or share with us anything you know about the ID of a hipo radiator from a Dearborn built 65 Mustang. Thanks for any help in this quest.

• What is the engineering number that is stamped on the left side upright of a radiator for a 1965 stick shift radiator? Is there a date stamped somewhere along with the ID #? Photos, anyone? HELP!

• Murf, there is a date code stamped after the part # on the bracket, mine also had a brass strip solder on the lower part of the upper tank , my date was dec 23 1964, i just dropped it off at lunch time to have it recored, i can call tomorrow and get the part # let me know Otto

• Thanks you very much, Otto. The search will begin today! Anyone else still have their original radiator and would care to share the information stamped on the side? Very few original radiators still exist it seems and the information on those that have survived can help all of us in our quest for just the "right" stuff.

• OK, everybody seems up to speed on the C4ZE 8005 stamped on the Dearborn radiator left side support. We now know that the date code stamped on that support reads as follows: 5CE would be: 5=year(1965) C= month (March) E= Week of production (fifth week). so most of the stamping is understood. but the two characters stamped between the C4ZE 8005 and the date code still remain a mystery. A typical stamped suport would read "DEP C4ZE 8005 Y1 5CE" So can anyone fill in the meaning of the "DEP"? All radiators seem to have these same letters stamped on them. Then the real unknown is the "Y1" stamping. I have supports stamped Y1,Z1,M1. Others have noted they have G1 and G2. Can any of you offer a suggestion as to what these two characters in the stamp indicate? I once thought maybe either automatic transmission or standard shift but can see no pattern in the stampings. Once again, HELP! I encourage you to look at any original radiators you have in your car or in your spare parts accumulation and help all of understand this little bit of Mustang identification.

Edited by - Murf on 03/04/2007 10:46:28

• Could we also ask the owners with original radiators still with their cars to indicate whether they are two or three row. Some folks have indicated that their cars came with the heavy duty three rows.

Thanks

• There is only one three row radiator listed for the 65 and 66 model year Mustangs. It was for 66 only with V8 and A/C only and only before 1/5/66. After that they went back to the two row for all V8 65 and 66 Mustangs. The radiator looks like a gypo 4 row due to the larger squared off looking top tank. It has a Mc-E 5 reversed stamped into the top tank near the filler opening. It has a C6ZE-A reversed stamped into the left side mounting bracket near the top. This radiator does not use fan shroud brackets as the shroud bolts directly to the radiator. The shroud is also different as it is not relieved to clear the top tank like the other shrouds. The fan shroud is a C6ZZ 8146 A and also requires a shorter fan clutch than other cars. It is a C6ZZ 8A616 A as the radiator is 2 1/4 inch thick rather than the 1 1/4 standard radiator. You will not find this radiator number in your 1975 final edition Ford parts catalog as this was obsolete for too long by 1975. There is not even a cross reference to this number in the radiator identifier at the beginning of the radiator section. The only reason that I have this radiator number is that I saved a Ford catalog that has not been updated since 1970. Therefore most of the older numbers, including some obscure accessorires like snow tires, rally packs and AM-FM radios are listed in there.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• While on the subject of radiators in the 65 - 66 Mustangs, let's explore what was used in the cars produced in New Jersey. Can anyone provide an image or information about the details on these radiators. What did they look like? Was the top tank the same as used in the Dearborn production vehicles or did the "T" cars use the radiator that we typically find in the San Jose cars? OR, did they in fact use another type altogether? How were they identified by engineering number? Cars built on the east coast are pretty scarce here in the Midwest so we need some help from those of you whose car has a VIN with the second character a "T"! Remember, only original radiators can help in this search.

• The square tabs soldered to the top tank were found on Mustangs built in Dearborn during the 65 - 66 era. They have an engineering number (C4ZE 8005) and a date code stamped on the flange of the left support near the voltage regulator area. The ones with the rounded tags were used in production in San Jose, and the date along with the engineering numbers will be reverse stamped into the top tank. Some radiators will have a small rectangular tag soldered to them showing the engineering number rather than a reverse stamping in the tank. The type of radiator used in the New Jersey plant at this point remains uncertain until someone posts some images and information showing what was the original issue. All information so far points to the fact that the Dearborn type of radiator also was used in the "T" assembly plant. I hope that someone will chime in on this discussion with some images and help out in this search. Someone must have restored an early (65 - 66) Mustang that was built on the East coast.

• Thanks Murf...I have a scheduled build 6/1/65 Dearborn K and the tabs are squared off which should be correct. Gotta get out to the pony barn and check for the numbers by the voltage regulator. Still have the original radiator somewhere from the 66 A 4-speed convertible I sold last year. Was built in New Jersey and I beleive the tabs were rounded. When I find it I will report back with my findings.

• Thanks, Ed: Information on the (T) New jersey cars must be exceptionally scarce. I hoped that someone would post an image of a (T) radiator support, as well as some photos of an early Mustang equipped with the square topped "desert cooler" that showed up for a while. Now that the weather has started to become decent others may dig through their stash of used parts and share what they discovers with us.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!