289K Fuel Pumps Remaned Yet?

• I'm being lazy, so forgive me. My '66 K has a button top fuel pump that for all intents and purposes looks just like a correct fuel pump, but its not. As a mechanical engineer, I wonder what it would take to "transform" a standard button top pump into a true K-code pump. I know the '65s are different and since I don't own a '65 pump nor have I actually held one in my hands could someone summarize those differences for me as well. I'd be willing to give it a go if for no other reason than the fun of trying. It seems to me that this can't really be that difficult. Maybe I'm just being naive.

• Ford took a standard 1965 pump, which has a lever spring under the top cap, and added an additional spring on the bottom in the same position as will be found on the 1964 pumps. So, you can functionally convert a standard 1965 fuel pump into a 289 HiPo fuel pump. The second spring reduces the tendency of the lever to lose contact with the eccentric at high RPM. Keep in mind that 1963 and 1964 HiPos used the same fuel pump as the standard 289, as there were no provisions for a second spring.

• So, the only difference is the spring and the lever (with the dimple). Seems to me that adding a dimple to a lever wouldn't be that difficult. Then its just a matter of sourcing springs. If I had the specs, I could even have the springs reproduced. Were the body castings different from regular mustangs? I just looked at a 4193 pump I have in the garage. It has a dimple cast onto the body for a spring, but not on the lever.

I realize that this would also require re-numbering the donor pumps with the correct markings, but I suspect there is a way to do that as well. No one is going to tool up for a new casting. There isn't enough volume for that.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

the body castings different from regular mustangs? I just looked at a 4193 pump I have in the garage. It has a dimple cast onto the body for a spring, but not on the lever.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The body castings are the same for 4193's and 4201's. There's some detailed pics at this thread:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4840

Dave
    6S1757

• After reading the posts and looking at the pictures, it seems that there were a couple of versions of the spring mechanism. Ralphs early pump seems to have some sort of adapter to allow for the second spring. Later pumps have the dimple integrated directly into the arm. This was probably a cost savings measure. It would certainly not be difficult to modify a standard pump arm to allow for the second spring.

Now, here's the hard part. How do you take apart and re-assemble a crimp together pump?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Now, here's the hard part. How do you take apart and re-assemble a crimp together pump?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's the rub. There are a few rebuilders out there that still have the crimp tool but no replacement parts to rebuild the pump.

• Ford gave a part number of C5OZ-9380-A for the extra spring on the 65 289 HiPo fuel pump. This was a replacement for the brown C3TZ-9380-A spring used on the 1963-64 V8 fuel pumps. So, getting a spring is not the problem. The rub is the lever. It was C5OZ-9376-A and only used on the 289 HiPo. You would need to remove the 65 standard lever (C5AZ-9376- and modify it for using the forward spring without weakening the hardness of the lever.

• Next question. Can the lever be removed and replaced without un-crimping the pump? Adding the dimple should be fairly simple. This appears to be a simple sheet metal part. Its not a castpart. The turn downs (ribs, gussetts or whatever you want to call them) carry the load. Is the dimple on a true hipo pump lever visible from the top? Does it look like it was put in using a tool and die and a press? If this is the case, it may be possilbe to modify a pump without disassembly.

Next question. Can the lever be removed and replaced without un-crimping the pump? Adding the dimple should be fairly simple. This appears to be a simple sheet metal part. Its not a castpart. The turn downs (ribs, gussetts or whatever you want to call them) carry the load. Is the dimple on a true hipo pump lever visible from the top? Does it look like it was put in using a tool and die and a press? If this is the case, it may be possilbe to modify a pump without disassembly.

Back to the rub... no, the arm can't be replaced/removed without uncrimping the pump. Stamping a dimple in an assembled pump could be fun. Yes, the dimple is visible from the top but the pump has to be out of the car... The only visible difference in the hipo pump when installed is the 4201 stamping and date code, even that isn't readily visible as it's on the bottom flange. JD Larson has two 4201 pumps in his new arrival parts list this month, one is a Carter and one is a CarBURAter if you must have a 4201. http://www.allclassicmotors.com

Uncrimping and recrimping a pump usually leaves tail-tell signs of this being done. New lower bodies are not available, the gaskets and diaphrams can be made. Murf has located a rebuilder who MIGHT rebuild our pumps but nothing definate yet.

• I have a Ford-remanufactured standard 1965 fuel pump. It has the top cap. But, the funny thing is, Ford replaced the lever with one like the 63-64 pump so the pump could use the lower spring arrangement. There is no spring under the cap, nor are there provisions for that spring on the lever.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!