Hipo rear axle bumper plate

• My 66 K is missing the bumper plate that was welded to the floor above the axle hsg.I can see the outline of where it was. I know finding one might be next to impossible.Car is undergoing restoration at this time.

Anyone have a suggestion.

• Ouch, start looking for a donor. Recent evidence indicates at least some A-code GT cars received the same bumper plate so it may not be a lost cause...

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

It wasn't just 9" equipped cars, it also included factory dual exhaust cars.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>Is this correct for both 65 and 66? I recall a post saying it was confirmed on non-K 66 GTs, but questionable if that was the case for 65 cars.

• Yes, definitely for '65 also. If you think about it, it makes sense. An A code GT needed the seat build up with the sheet metal reinforcements. Assuming these sections were pre-built before assembly of the car, it would have been easy to just have the same piece(or "chunk") made.

• I agree - it is very likely Ford had only 2 body buck build instructions to keep things simple. "Sheet metal unibody assembly instructions"

1 - Regular cars - single exhaust - standard 8" rear end and round axle plate - no seat or tail pipe reinforcements

2 - HIPO "K" or "A" code GT cars - dual exhaust reinforcements - curved heavy duty 9" axle plate - which would work OK for the 8" A code GT cars too.

This is also what the photo documentation to date supports.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!