Replacement Pistons

• Contact Sealed Power use the replacement pistons for 1987 thru 1989 Mustang H.O. forged units. The balance weight is very close and they use a very tight cylinder wall clearance. You can find them used in great condition for pennys. If you block is standard you can have them coated and save you block or buy new ones and have them coated . You should check your block first of all.They are press fit and have flat tops with four eyebrows ,which will give you the same compression. I hope this helps. Ron

• The part number you want is L-2482 TRW number which Sealed Power owns. I have one on ebay for sale check it out. Just search for sellers at the top bar advanced search. mr.ford-4969 is my seller name. The piston is flat top and has four eyebrows. Ron

Edited by - MR.FORD49 on 04/16/2007 04:48:21

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

You don't want the L-2482F piston as that's the wrong piston for 289.That piston is for a 302 and the wrist pin location is wrong and rod center line is different on the 302.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Bob,

So the info on page 12 of Tony's book is wrong?

Thanks,

Gary

• I am unfamiliar with TRW numbers however a 289 and 302, except Boss 302, use the same piston. The difference in the stroke is made up by the shorter rod on the standard 302. Ford did not relocate the pin hole on a standard 302.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am unfamiliar with TRW numbers however a 289 and 302, except Boss 302, use the same piston. The difference in the stroke is made up by the shorter rod on the standard 302. Ford did not relocate the pin hole on a standard 302.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Fred. Gary

Gary, the answer to your question is that Tony's book is correct and you have the right Pistons.

Thanks Marv.... I was sure that it was. I just wanted Bob to think about his statement and correct it so future readers know the correct piston to buy and that Tony's book is correct.

Gary

Edited by - garymcgowan on 04/23/2007 17:29:34

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!