Shelby's Wildlife

• A friend let me borrow the book quoted below and I'm curious about the quote...

From "Shelby's Wildlife: The Cobras and Mustangs" by Wallace A. Wyss, 1977, p 46:

"Shelby-American employees used to get a kick out of the test results reported in magazines. In a September 1963 test Motor Trend reported it used a 7200 rpm redline. While he doesn't remember specifically, Phil Remington suspects the Motor Trend test car might have had a helper kit (roller tappets) "because the stock engine wouldn't hold together much past 6500 rpm."

Any comments?

PS. Cobra Jeff is credited with some of the photos.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

A friend let me borrow the book quoted below and I'm curious about the quote...

"because the stock engine wouldn't hold together much past 6500 rpm."

Any comments?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Geez...I guess I'm lucky because I never had any of my stock 289 High Performance engines fail in over 35 years with plenty of shifts at 7000 RPMs.

• Wally got me into a lot of trouble with that book. I sent him a number of photos, many taken by myself, and some from Ford Photomedia files. All were clearly marked on the back, whether the source was me, or Ford Photomedia. Wally ended up giving me photo credit for all of the photos I sent him.

I got a call one day from one of the Ford photographers, complaining about me taking credit for his photos - he was not very happy about it. I went over to Ford WHQ to sit down with him and explain how that happened (and to show him that my submitted photos were clearly marked on the back for source). I was finally able to placate him by having Wally send a free, personally autographed copy of Shelby's Wildlife.

There is a second edition with a number of corrections suggested by SAAC that did not make it into the first edition.

regards,

cobrajeff

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

A friend let me borrow the book quoted below and I'm curious about the quote...

"because the stock engine wouldn't hold together much past 6500 rpm."

Any comments?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Geez...I guess I'm lucky because I never had any of my stock 289 High Performance engines fail in over 35 years with plenty of shifts at 7000 RPMs.

Ditto Gene...

• Shelby and wildlife employees can laugh all they want because I know for a fact that for the first 5 years of my 64.5 K's life she saw many revs at 7200 and over and some were pretty close to the 8000.

With a stock engine and the first rebuild was around 130,000 miles. Laki

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!