• The only high performance Mustang that used a T10 was a Shelby. They had a special gear set for them alone. The only other high performance 289 T10 transmissions were in 63-65 Fairlanes and they had their own special gear set. Even then, 64 and 65 high performance Fairlanes could have either a T10 or a Ford 4 speed with no known reason for which was used.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The HiPo Fairlane used the same T-10 gear set as the standard big-block Galaxies of 1963-64, except for the input shaft which was extended 3/8" for the thicker bellhousing. Borg-Warner also made optional nickel gear sets of this ratio for the Galaxie, which could be substituted. Ratios were 2.36, 1.78, 1.41, and 1.00. In 1963-64, Ford also had an optional nickel set for the Galaxie for what it called a close ratio (2.36, 1.62, 1.20, and 1.00) for use with the 427. It replaced the 2nd, 3rd gear, and cluster gears. The remaining gears were the same as the optional nickel gears for the standard big-block ratio set. This later set was used in the GT-350 Mustang. I don't know if Shelby had a special nickel input shaft (4th gear), used the 289 HiPo input (non-nickel), or used the nickel input with the C5TZ extended pilot bushing.

Starting in late 1964, Ford also used the toploader for the Fairlane HiPo. In 1965, T-10 and toploaders were used with no customer choice as which was received. Toploaders went to Galaxies (and Montereys) and HiPo Mustangs (and the few Comet HiPos produced) as a priority. Fairlanes got what was left and T-10s filled in the difference.

• The Shelby T-10 (aluminum case) used the M ratio gearset which were nickle gears including the input. The AC cobra cars used an L ratio gearset, not sure what the difference is, but the gears are very costly if you can even find them anymore. I know where some M ratio stuff is, but at 3k for a complete set, not many takers in that department.

I am not too savy in the Galaxie car trannies, so no input from me there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!