1966 HIPO Block

• Just curious -- absent a VIN or accompanying "k" parts, i.e., crank, main caps, etc. how do we discern a block as being a HIPO block, or can we?

I ask because 15 years ago, I purchased what was represented as a HIPO block; came with crank, correct main caps (which I needed, thus the purchase), counterweight, timing gear, etc., but no VIN. It's a C5AE-6015E block, dated-coded for 1965. But, without a VIN, how do I know it's a HIPO?

For this reason, I've never considered selling the block as a HIPO block; but I suppose it might be, or might not? I would never want to misrepresent something, so it sits in the garage...

• Official Post

Chris, Most but not all Hipo blocks received a VIN stamp. I have witnessed several Metucheon built units that were not stamped. The very rare 65 Comet Hipos were not stamped. Of course, any service bare block or short block was not stamped either. This would also include engine assemblies purchased from Shelby American. To the best of my knowledge, Cobra cars were unstamped as well. This would account for a fair number of unstamped real Hipo blocks.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

Don, From Chris' description, I would say that he has already used the main caps, but I could be wrong.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Other than the VIN stamp and Main Caps, what is the difference between a HIPO Block and a regular block? I don't think there is any difference. Even with a VIN stamp and main caps doesn't guarantee it's a HIPO block.

Gary

• You need to familiarize yourself with genuine factory vin stamps. This will help filter out restamps. The best way I know to get a genuine block is to find a complete unmolested longblock,crank,rods,timing gear,all intact along with factory vin stamp.The original headgaskets installed,test run date visable. heads dated close to block cast date. Or personally know the seller.

• Guys,

I receieved the block from an old skool shelby collector who swore the block was an original 289 HIPO block. It is a bare block with original HIPO mains from what I see. It measures 4 inches at the top of the bores. There is no VIN stamped on it. I don't know what else I can say.

Wayne

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!