Restoration part 8

• I've now got the engine and trans in the Kar....it's been a while. Here are some pictures. I would like you folks to look them over and let me know if we've made any mistakes. The engine paint color is correct just too much flash from the camera.

Before the engine can be started we need to get the exhaust system from Tony Branda...that's next.

[Blocked Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/29fv413.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i46.tinypic.com/2ds1rw5.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/o8c30y.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i46.tinypic.com/k36fet.jpg]

• I think the carb spacer should have some blue overspray. You can set it on a box top and paint arround it for the look. I have read it was on when it was painted.

Looks very nice!

Edited by - 5F09C on 11/25/2009 14:23:16

• Good point, but the paxton bonnet covers the carb spacer and carb so it not going to be seen. I'll hit it with some spray before I install the cover.

Thanks

Q.

• Very nice. A couple of questions for you, Are the headers and trans painted with anything, is that lifting plate bolted to the inlet with the carb studs? as I have to make one soon and wondered if the carb studs would take the weight of an engine and trans.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by - cobraboy on 11/25/2009 15:35:33

• qballll,

Things are looking great!

I believe you may have the incorrect valve covers on your hipo engine. To me they look like the '65/'66 hipo valve covers instead of the '67 hipo valve covers; the '67 hipo valve covers are shaped differently. If you need pics let me know and I'll email you some.

Tom

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Very nice. A couple of questions for you, Are the headers and trans painted with anything, is that lifting plate bolted to the inlet with the carb studs? as I have to make one soon and wondered if the carb studs would take the weight of an engine and trans.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by - cobraboy on 11/25/2009 15:35:33

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I've lifted 460's and 428's using the carb studs

• I believe the exhaust manifolds should also be hit with blue overspray like the carb spacer if you want originality. Charles will be able to help clarify any details. I like the color of the Kar.

• The car is intended to be shown in the concours driven class at MCA shows. When you go back and read all the posts you'll notice I've used a mixture of new old stock and repo parts. The car was in really bad shape...typical Michigan car.

I'm a certified mca judge in the 67-68 division and I know I've made mistakes during this restoration...I'm learning all the time, that's why I like this web site. I'm always looking for information to help with the restoration so keep on looking and asking questions. Qman

• Cool, that helps.

Based on the pics above, don't really see much other than nit-picky items.

-From the angles of the pics, it does appear you have the 65-66 style valve covers.

-Harmonic balancer is usually either natural or painted black

-Is the temp sending unit painted blue? Should be natural brass finish with possibly a little dusting of over spray on the lower threads.

-Bellhousing color looks off in the pics, but probably be ok for judging.

-The by-pass hose and clamps should have been installed when the engine was painted

-Looks like aftermarket head bolts

-Hard to tell from the pics, but are there exhaust manifold gaskets installed? They would be incorrect if so.

-Agree about the carb spacer, would expect it to have at least some over spray on it. Carb studs usually have block color on the tips also.

-Your lower control arm eccentric bolts should be phosphate/oil.

-Upper control arms are usually all natural on 67 and up.

-Should have a little engine color over spray on the exhaust manifolds, but probably wouldn't cost you any points by not having it. Nice touch for a restored car though.

• The fuel pump is required for the paxton. Apparently you got the fuel pump as part of the package. Again thanks to everyone for all the constructive comments. I'll make the other changes as soon as possible. Qman

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The fuel pump is required for the paxton. Apparently you got the fuel pump as part of the package.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Interesting, I learned something new today, thank you! When you have time, please take a look at it and let me know who manufactured the pump.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!