Early Versus Late Shifter

• Hi guys,

Does anybody know when Ford changed

from the short bent to the rounded

bent chromed shifter on 4-speed Mustangs.

Many years ago I was told by Jim Cowles

that I needed a short bent shifter for

my car and I found one. No I am being told

I need a rounded bent shifter by other

people. Which one would be correct for

an early May 65 San Jose' built car?

Thanks,

/Bo

• Bo,

I researched this last year and it seems that there is a bit of debate over when the change actually took place in production, and with each plant. Bill Heeley, the shifter rebuilder in Maryland, told me that he felt the most accurate source of information was from the fellow that owns Paradise Wheels (can't remember his name now - is that Jim Cowles?). Bill said that the change occured sometime around the end of 64 or early 65, and that all the Shelby folks were buying up the early angle handles he had left. I'm not sure how much of this information is legend or fact, but it might help put you on the right track. I do know that the angle handles are less common than the bent version. Bill does a nice job of rebuilding the handles. If you call him he will share information gladly: (301) 774-6710.

One of the MCA judges can probably give you more accurate info.

Edited by - round2K on 07/03/2007 21:31:04

• Thanks Dave,

You are thinking about Craig Conley who owns

Paradise Wheels. Yesterday evening I looked through

magazines from 1965 and the early Shelbys produced

by Ford in the Dec 64 time frame had the short (sharp)

bent shifter. However, most likely I need to put

the rounded (later) type back that it had when

I bought the car in 1988. As said earlier, I was told

that I needed the early type so I got one.

/Bo

• Thanks Charles,

Bad because I just put in a correctly

date coded T10-M1 and could have changed

the shifter then. What the heck, it's just

hobby work.

Again, thanks.

/Bo

• Would the early short bend shifter always come with the bolted-to-the-floor shift boot retainer, rather than the chrome floating plate?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Would the early short bend shifter always come with the bolted-to-the-floor shift boot retainer, rather than the chrome floating plate?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Don't know for sure, but I don't ever recall seeing a shifter bezel plate with the curved arm... only with the straight.

• Yes, pictures of early 65 Shelbys in the

magazines from the same year show the short

bend shifter as well. Those cars were built

in Nov-Dec 64. Chrles is most likely correct

that I need a curved shifter in my early

May 65 built car though.

/Bo

• I think the reference to the short bend is what we also refer to as the angle. There are only two styles angle or curved. Interesting that the picture shows the angle and the chrome bezel. Also note that there are the correct 4 exposed bellows above the chrome ring. It seems like many people only install the ring to show 3 bellows.

Edited by - round2K on 07/12/2007 12:15:47

• Right, short bend = sharp angle (non-curved). Nice eye on the bellows detail Dave. Also notice the gauge pod which was a clay prototype, tach face is only a mockup.

Dave
    6S1757

• Hi guys,

Guess what, when I tried to remove the

NOS shifter boot from the sharp bend shifter

I teared it at the upper seam.

Just put it on the car a month ago.

Anybody has a C5ZZ NOS boot for sale or trade?

/Bo

• I agree it's not definitive but when I raise the boot in my car (curved shifter) to the same height as the pic the curve is still visible in 1st and 3rd. Plus 003 had a scheduled San Jose build date of Oct. 26, 1964 so the time frame seems about right.

The present owner of 003 is a friend of mine, I should see him this weekend so will ask him about the shifter and report back.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!