Wanted: Original Air Filter base for 1965 K

• Gary,

I saw this ad earlier. It doesn't have a date code nor does it have two pronounced dimples like the HIPO registry says it should have.

Do you think it is original? If anybody knows, let me know.

Thanks, Wallace

• I'n not 100% sure this is an original as repros are now available of the early style lid, the seller is full of crap stating reproduction stickers do not have the engineering number. I've got one in front of me right now that does.

I've got an original 5A base I might consider parting with Wallace, get in touch if your interested and we can discuss it. Also have the original later style lid with it (with original decal), has had a small (1/8") hole drilled in it for some reason and needs rechromed for a show car.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Look Again, It does have the dimples.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It appears to have one dimple to me, looking through Mannel's book (pg. 3-37) this looks like a 63 HiPo base. Later HiPo bases have two dimples.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any interest in trading the 5A base for a 6F?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Not really Charles, if you had a 5M or 6A I would be interested in a trade. Would could talk about an outright sale or trade for something else...

Are the LATE '65 and '66s BLUE??

I don't think they changed to blue until the 66 model year.

Not really Charles, if you had a 5M or 6A I would be interested in a trade. Would could talk about an outright sale or trade for something else...

Did they even make a 5M base? The only date code I've ever seen for '65 was 5A, like they made a ton of them or something. Seen several dates for '66 and '67 though.

Dave
    6S1757

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did they even make a 5M base? The only date code I've ever seen for '65 was 5A, like they made a ton of them or something. Seen several dates for '66 and '67 though.

I think you are right. The 5A base I have was the original on my kar when I bought it in 79. I thought it might have been because the original air cleaner had been shoved into the hood when one of the previous owners broke the motor mounts (dent in the hood with a hood scoop bolted over it) however it had original 66 blue paint on it. I should probably save it and put it under the repro lid...

What dates have you seen for 66?

• My Kars have 6A and 6C.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Wow,

For a minute I thought I might have found one. Still, if anybody knows where I can find an original base for 1965, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help. Wallace

If you have a 5A base that was originally painted blue, it was probably a service replacement part. Might have come in a cobra dress-up kit.

Why wouldn't a 5A base be painted blue originally if they made a ton of them? Anyone ever see a base dated earler than 6A (which could be too late for my Jan 12 kar). Anyone with a nov, dec, jan 66 kar have a 5A base? If not what date code?

What dates have you seen for 66?

The original base on my car is 6C and I also have a 6A base. I have seen 6B and 6D plus if Charles has a 6F possibly there was a 6E? Merlyn, I think a 6A would probably work for your Jan. 12 production date since my car has a 6C and a late March 66 San Jose production date but agree the 5A you have is likely the original.

Dave
    6S1757

Why wouldn't a 5A base be painted blue originally if they made a ton of them? Anyone ever see a base dated earler than 6A (which could be too late for my Jan 12 kar). Anyone with a nov, dec, jan 66 kar have a 5A base? If not what date code?

Could be a number of reasons. For instance, different paint requirements for dress-up kits.

A Nov/Dec 65 or Jan 66 would most likely NOT have had a 5A base from the assembly plant.

A Nov/Dec 65 or Jan 66 would most likely NOT have had a 5A base from the assembly plant.

What would a Nov/Dec 65 car have then? Charles, have you seen any other date on an original 65 base other than 5A? Anyone have a late 65 car with the original air cleaner that can chime in here?

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!