HIPO intake tag question

• Hello, I have a set of 65 hipo heads (double 289 dot, screw in studs, raised spring seats). I also have the intake manifold that came with.

Here is the question. The manifold still has the ID tag, but someone told me that this was not a HIPO tag.

The tag says

289 65 7

5-c 552-j

It's hard for me to believe that a 4 barrel intake, numbers matching, would not have been mated with the heads from the factory. The previous owner stated that he bought the car new

• The problem is the 552 which stands for a 289 4-V, i.e. the 225 horse

engine with a standard transmission while the HiPo should have a 554 number.

/Bo

• Intake is the same for both the 552 and 554 engines - this one just came from a 225HP 289 not a 271HP K code - same intake except the tag.

You can have a new one made with the correct K code numbers.

The heads are unique to the HiPo 289 - so you are in luck if they have the spring pockets and screw in studs.

The 2 barrel and 4 barrel regular 289 used different heads.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The 2 barrel and 4 barrel regular 289 used different heads.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The "A" code and "C" code engines used the same heads. Compression differences were obtained via different pistons.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!