K code convertable in OZ

• I am looking at a K code convertable here in Australia there is however a few red flags going up Firstly its 65 and its an auto, I notice that there are 3 65 autos on the registry is it possible they were special orders, it is listed on the vin as 6 for auto the import papers and the vins all show it as a K code I have yet to look at the car (next week). it also has a vac distributor which is wrong, it has the correct heads and exauhst manifolds and has been recently fitted with power steering (wrong) and air con (also wrong)If the body stamps and vins all check out does that mean it is a genuine K code body that may have the vins alterd to show thw auto??? any help here would be much appreciated

Jar

• The transmission type is not part of the VIN, it is on the warranty plate, affixed to the drive door jamb.

There are many checks at determining if a car is a real K body and what options it had. Generally, we do not accept that automatics were a factory option on '65 K codes, but there is always that .0001 chance that one could pop up. If you post some pics here, we can probably help determine whether or not it's legit.

• G'day Jar

Welcome aboard.

Been interested in K codes a long time but only recently finally made the dive myself. The key I decided, aside from the usual buying a 40+ year old mustang. Was knowing the important and hard to find K stuff. That way when buying a car like you described with things amiss you, know what it will take to restore it to the standard you wont and pay accordingly.

and double check all resources.

Cheers

Ben

Cheers

Ben

66 GT Koupe, May San Jose build.

• Hello Jar,

I'm also a proud Aussie K code owner with a '66 coupe with an auto trans....From all of my reading, it seems that the general concensous is that whilst the K code C4 tranny was certainly different in specs to the non K codes, they were not stamped with the VIN like the engine blocks or the 4 speed transmissions were because at the time, they were not seen as much of a theft risk as the 4 speed!

The "Misc Vehicle Data" that is on the door data plate will identify the factory supplied tranny to the car...

Ben's given good advise...double check the details...Based on what I know now compared to what I knew when I bought my Kar...I was just plain lucky, but unfortuately, I have heard a few not so lucky stories...

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Paul

• great to hear from a few K code blokes in Oz The convertable i'm looking at next week will have to tick all the boxes, if not I've got 2 GT conv to look at and a pantera but already having a 69 mach 1 cobrajet and a 68 california special my heart lies with the K code, fingers crossed. Ill let you know how it goes after the 25th,

Thanks heaps for your input

Jar

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!