Protecting OEM Exhust System

• Drove my Last K Code GT Fastback to Mustang OK to National Show. Did well for First show losing 38 points out of 700 in Concurs Driven Class. I lost 11 points by not having original Exhaust System. I have NOS Ehaust System I ordered from Ford in 82 including Hi-Po H Pipe and both C6ZZ Pipes with resonators etc. My question is has anyone coated these original pipes with Hi-Temp Clear and how did it work out? These have never been on a car, but I bought the system from Ford 2 years after buying the car in 1980. Ended up with a Silver at the show. Had fun driving and showing the car but it was hot!

• Just something to consider: The later Ford replacement exhausts typically are not dated like the original assembly line pieces are. Although your NOS exhaust is a nice upgrade from using repros, you may loose some points with your NOS exhaust not having dates on them. Maybe Charles can help how many points would be at stake, if any?

-Matt

• I have experimented with various high temp clear coatings and found that most of them tend to yellow over time, and they have a hint of gloss to them. The only exception so far that I have found to that rule is the high temp satin "Diamond" clear product sold by Eastwood. When this product is applied in several very thin coats it has worked reasonably well and held up to several seasons of wear and driving to shows without being conspicuous.

The other alternative I've tried is the light application of a coating of WD40 a couple of times a year, and at the end of the season using a 0000 steel wool pad as the applicator. This is a very gentle application using the wool to knock loose any surface contaminents, followed by a wipe down with shop towel that leaves a hint of the oil in place.

It would be hard to imagine a ceramic coating applied with a true satin finish that would not be obvious.

• I talked with my powder coating guru and he said that there is a clear high temp ceramic coating but - the manufacturer pulled it from the market. The original intent was to ceramic coat in flat in the color of your choice and then to cover it with semi gloss (20, 40, 60 pct etc) but there were problems with the clear "sticking" and keeping its sheen.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!