1966 GT Fender Emblem vs 1965

• I guess in 1966 Ford decided to get with a silver paint, rather than chrome?

My Scott Drake emblems are this way and at first I thought they were just crappy quality, but I guess this was a true difference in the part from 1965 ( chrome ) to 1966

Can anyone confirm this?

Here I thought I knew a couple things about mustangs

• If my memory serves me right the early GT emblems were made from a ceramic material called cloisone on a pot metal base for the most of the 65 model run. I'm not sure when the change over occured but Ford then starting using a plastic based material for 1966. In my opinion the early 65 GT emblems were much nicer.

• My thinking is that back in the day (1965) Ford somehow figured out that they were spending too much on the emblems and sought out to make them cheaper for 1966-that said I believe that if I had a '66 GT that I would stick with the '66 GT emblems.

• According to the Ford master parts catalog, the change from the 65 style emblem to the 66 style emblem was approximately on 10/1/65. The 66 style emblem is actually a 66 Fairlane piece and the Fairlane only used the 66 style and never the 65 Mustang style emblem.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!