2 sets of vin numbers

• Under a search for 6R07K182294 in the archived topics there is a discussion on a restamped vin number which was done at the factory on the assembly line.I have done a complete teardown and restoration on this car.All 3 vin numbers have the corrected restamp.There is no signs of damage or front clip replacement to this car.I compared it with another stripped down 66 side beside it.The story is the first stamping was for a fastback and corrected to a coupe.I believe this was a factory mistake corrected on the assembly line.

• Here is the link: http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…e&TOPIC_ID=5499

One post in the archive topic shows a picture with 6R07K182294 stamped in the normal visible location. There are no stars on either side of the VIN plus IMO it looks larger than normal. Below that stamp is what looks like 6R09K178532 with the correct stars and a "V" to either side of the stars. I could be mistaken but remember reading somewhere that the "V" was a salvage stamp? IMO this is not a factory misstamp because the sequence numbers are so far off. I'm guessing at least part of this coupe was clipped with a fastback front end.

Does the 6R09K VIN appear anywhere else?

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is there a way to continue an archived topic from 3 years ago which is labeled topic locked?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Unfortunately not at this time. Once a topic goes to the Archives, it cannot be unlocked or have new replies added.

• The 2 hidden vins are done the same way with the V in front and behind 6R09K178532.I believe the V is for void and not salvage.The odds of finding a doner car which is also a 66 San Jose K code are slim.My car was built April 6,1966 and the voided vin number would of been available during that week of production according to other k cars in the registry.Each factory did not build all their cars numerically and the vin numbers were spread out with other factorys.My research shows each factory did not recieve a block of sequential numbers.

• I've seen a reidentified mustang at a swap meet several years back. The old number was 5F08D192898 and was crossed out by the letter"V" stamped over the entire number. The new number was stamped above the old number and is 5F08F205641. It had the "stars" before and after and was the same font size as the original. It appears that a 289CID engine failed and was replaced by a 260CID. As the Mustang was a convertible, it was desirable to get it to a showroom. There is about 10 days between numbers' assembly dates. This was witnessed by two MCA Gold Card Judges (one is still active) and the numbers forwarded to Jim Smart and Jim Haskell for future use in their Mustang Production Guide. At the same swap meet we also "found" a 64 1/2 Pace car.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...It had the "stars" before and after and was the same font size as the original...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's what's interesting about the car in question, the new stamp is a larger size font and no star. Don't know if that's significant or not.

But I do know a little something about the 6R09K178532 VIN on this car. That fastback DID exist at one time and I'd be interested in finding out what happened to it.

Dave
    6S1757

• How do you know that fastback DID exist at one time? I think when Ford put the V beside it, then its existence ceased.In all my years of mustang restorations I have never seen a front clip replaced exactly like the factory job.This car has no telltale signs of any rewelding anywhere.As far as the larger font goes,I read they had a machine clamp onto the inner apron for stamping.If this were the case it would not be able to stamp above its normal spot.Remember, Ford was producing 1000 mustangs per day and didnt get everything right.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!