• Looking for a original Hipo carburetor tag for my 12/22/64 convertible thanks Paul.

The key date for any engine component installed by the Cleveland engine plant, that includes carburetors, is the engine assembly date and not the scheduled build date of a vehicle the engine was installed in. The actual build date of a vehicle was not always the scheduled date and could be days or weeks later in worst cases.

Carburetor wise, a batch of carburetors normally took at least three weeks and as long as several months to get from carburetor assembly operations to a new engine build in Cleveland Ohio depending on many factors. Once the engine was made, groups were gathered and shipped to vehicle assembly plants. Depending on how far the vehicle assembly plant was from Cleveland Ohio there might be a week to several weeks between when an engine left the assembly final inspection and test and getting installed into a new vehicle.

I am guessing you mean a C4OF-AL carburetor assembly. The carburetor run dates I know for that model (so far) were 4DE, 4FB, 4FE, 4GA, 4JA, 4KB, 4KC, 4KD, 5AD, 5CA, and 5BB. Depending on the engine assembly date for the original engine in your car, tags dated 4KB, 4KC, or 4KD might have been possible. Carburetors dated 4KD were made in large numbers and is the largest count in my database I have collected over the years.

Dan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!