C4OF-AL Carburetor

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "super-novass" with a Buy-It-Now of $1,950.00 or make offer:

This is an original Autolite model 4100 4 barrel carburetor for K Code 289 HIPO engines. The driver's front mounting foot it stamped C4OF AL as shown. The tag reads: "FoMoCo C5OF-L B 4LA". The C4OF AL carb was used on 1964 1/2 Mustangs, Fairlane, and Comets with the 289/271HP HIPO engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. It was also used on early 1965(until 2/15/1965) Mustangs, Fairlanes, annd Comets with the 289/271HP HIPO engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. The early 1965 models has C4OF AL stamped on the base with the C5OF-L tag as you see on this carburetor. This carb was also used on 1965 Shelby Mustangs with the Paxton supercharger option. This is a very rare early 1965 K code carb!

This carb is in very good condition as shown. The carb body is bare metal with no paints or coatings. There is no corrosion, breaks, or repairs. The gold cadmium plated parts all look very nice with a nice original luster. All manual choke components, which are only found on K code carbs, are intact and in good condition. All parts move freely. Both throttle shafts move smoothly and seem tight in the bores, not wollowed out. This carb came off a good running engine in a hot rod Ford truck. The truck was further upgraded and had fuel injection added so the carb was removed. I have no idea how this carb ended up on the truck unless a whole K code engine was installed in the truck or a shop simply had this carb on the shelf and installed it. I removed the top plate and the carb looks very clean inside. I also removed the boosters to reveal the stamped codes of "B A" and "D K" as shown. This carb deserves a home on a 289 K code engine. Don't miss this awesome carburetor.

This is your chance to own the real deal Autolite 4100 K code specific carburetor you have been dreaming about at a GREAT PRICE. Don't miss out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352633988048?ul_noapp=true

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• This carburetor is NOT the real deal at all. Here is the email that I sent the seller on 4/6/2019 and I have never received a response from the seller nor have they changed their description. Caveat Emptor!!

I am just trying to help you out here. I am sure that you are NOT intentionally misrepresenting this carburetor. The problem is that someone in the past has made this one up as none of the pieces are what you believe them to be. First, the main body does not have the cast in stop for the choke fast idle cam. While we are on the choke fast idle cam, it is a reproduction made by Pony Carburetors a number of years ago. Therefore this carburetor was most likely converted by them as they did this as a regular service at the time. The main body casting should have a date code of 11-5-63 cast into the underside of it as that was when the majority of the Hipo castings were produced. The protrusion in front of the choke fast idle cam was originally for mounting the automatic choke and is shortened on the Hipo carburetor to clear the manual choke linkage. Being as they were originally drilled and tapped, Pony filled them in as yours is. The air horn would not have the extra brass tube coming out of the right hand side for the heat riser to an automatic choke and the hole would be cast shut. The rear booster is correct as it is a BA and generic. The main booster is incorrect as it would be an M. The C5OF-L tag actually is correct as Ford was changing the tag when they stopped using the road draft tubes on the engines.

Please contact me if you need more information.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Edited once, last by C6ZZKGT (April 13, 2019 at 1:34 AM).

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "cincop8" with a Buy-It-Now of $1,799.00 or make offer:

rare carb , straight off the shelf, rebuild and install, fits 641/2 and early 65 mustang K codes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/289-hipo-c…5.c100012.m1985

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "cincop8" with a Buy-It-Now of $1,799.00 or make offer:

rare carb , straight off the shelf, rebuild and install, fits 641/2 and early 65 mustang K codes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/289-hipo-c…5.c100012.m1985

-Fred-

This used carburetor sold April 13, 2019 on Ebay for $1,795.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This carburetor is NOT the real deal at all. Here is the email that I sent the seller on 4/6/2019 and I have never received a response from the seller nor have they changed their description. Caveat Emptor!!

I am just trying to help you out here. I am sure that you are NOT intentionally misrepresenting this carburetor. The problem is that someone in the past has made this one up as none of the pieces are what you believe them to be. First, the main body does not have the cast in stop for the choke fast idle cam. While we are on the choke fast idle cam, it is a reproduction made by Pony Carburetors a number of yours ago. Therefore this carburetor was most likely converted by them as they did this as a regular service at the time. The main body casting should have a date code of 11-5-63 cast into the underside of it as that was when the majority of the Hipo castings were produced. The protrusion in front of the choke fast idle cam was originally for mounting the automatic choke and is shortened on the Hipo carburetor to clear the manual choke linkage. Being as they were originally drilled and tapped, Pony filled them in as yours is. The air horn would not have the extra brass tube coming out of the right hand side for the heat riser to an automatic choke and the hole would be cast shut. The rear booster is correct as it is a BA and generic. The main booster is incorrect as it would be an M. The C5OF-L tag actually is correct as Ford was changing the tag when they stopped using the road draft tubes on the engines.

-Fred-

This "real deal" , at best a clone, carburetor received no bids by May 3, 2019 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor received no bids by May 3, 2019 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor is back on Ebay again with a slightly lowered Buy-It-Now of $1,650.00 or make offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autolite-2…sYAAOSwt2FcpOFc

Buyer beware on this one!!

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This carburetor is NOT the real deal at all. Here is the email that I sent the seller on 4/6/2019 and I have never received a response from the seller nor have they changed their description. Caveat Emptor!!

I am just trying to help you out here. I am sure that you are NOT intentionally misrepresenting this carburetor. The problem is that someone in the past has made this one up as none of the pieces are what you believe them to be. First, the main body does not have the cast in stop for the choke fast idle cam. While we are on the choke fast idle cam, it is a reproduction made by Pony Carburetors a number of yours ago. Therefore this carburetor was most likely converted by them as they did this as a regular service at the time. The main body casting should have a date code of 11-5-63 cast into the underside of it as that was when the majority of the Hipo castings were produced. The protrusion in front of the choke fast idle cam was originally for mounting the automatic choke and is shortened on the Hipo carburetor to clear the manual choke linkage. Being as they were originally drilled and tapped, Pony filled them in as yours is. The air horn would not have the extra brass tube coming out of the right hand side for the heat riser to an automatic choke and the hole would be cast shut. The rear booster is correct as it is a BA and generic. The main booster is incorrect as it would be an M. The C5OF-L tag actually is correct as Ford was changing the tag when they stopped using the road draft tubes on the engines.

-Fred-

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor received no bids by May 3, 2019 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor is back on Ebay again with a slightly lowered Buy-It-Now of $1,650.00 or make offer:

Buyer beware on this one!!

-Fred-

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor received no bids by May 9, 2019 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor is back on Ebay again as a straight auction with a starting bid of $9.99:

Again, Buyer beware on this one.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "satelite65" with a Buy-It-Now of $1,500.00:

This is a used early 65 Mustang 289 HP carburetor. This carb has been sitting for years, it will need a rebuild kit installed. Looks like a nice clean core.
    I'm selling this for a friend, I am not familiar with these carburetors so ask as many questions as you need to.

I will ship via FedEx ground fully insured, this means it will require a signature for delivery.

Thanks for looking.
    Let me know if you need more pictures, or have any questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/289-hipo-c…=p2047675.l2557

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This carburetor has an aftermarket manual secondary conversion kit. Not a big deal to remove.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This carburetor has an aftermarket manual secondary conversion kit. Not a big deal to remove.

-Fred-

This carburetor sold May 5, 2019 on Ebay for $1,500.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This "real deal", at best a clone, carburetor is back on Ebay again as a straight auction with a starting bid of $9.99:

Again, Buyer beware on this one.

-Fred-

This carburetor auction was ended May 15, 2019 by the seller with the following explanation "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing". Maybe enough other people explained the issues to the seller?
    -Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "ccrider77" with a starting bid of $75.00:

You're looking at an older vintage Ford 4100 series Hi-Po four barrel carburetor with a manual choke. The original tag states C40F AL. This appears to be all original and is complete, except for the fuel filter-nipple, which is missing and the vacuum/vent nipple/fitting, which is also missing. Both of these items are still available online or even from your local auto parts store.

It's dusty and dirty on the outside, but the choke plate and all butterflies operate freely and are not frozen. The bowls look good, clean and the floats, jets and needles are all there. The linkage is straight, functioning and undamaged as well. This core can easily be rebuilt yourself or by a professional mechanic.

According to application charts, found at: http://mustangtimes.net/33-4/pg52-54.pdf , this is a Hi-Po carburetor used on a 1964-1/2 - 1965 Ford 289 V8 in a Mustang, Comet or Fairlane with a manual transmission. It features a vacuum secondary with even, square bore spacing and two accelerator pumps.

The full number set from this carb are:
    Tag: C40F AL B 4KC Toe: C40FAL Primary Venturi Cluster: M

If you're looking for a genuine Ford high performance carburetor for your early Mustang or Comet restoration, this is it.

On Mar-31-21 at 10:45:47 PDT, seller added the following information:After some questions about this carburetor, I have the following additional information.
    The secondary venturi cluster has the correct "BA" stamp from the factory.
    This confirms that this C4OFAL carburetor is a genuine Ford HIPO model, as was used in high performance K-code (KC) Mustangs. So yes, this is the real deal. It's not a clone.
    I also will not end the auction early to sell to someone exclusively. Sorry about that but it's not fair to everyone else who are interested.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Thanks!
    On Mar-31-21 at 22:17:50 PDT, seller added the following information

Some more information...

Correction: This carburetor, like all 4100's, apparently only has one accelerator pump. What I thought was a second pump was merely the vacuum chamber for the secondaries. My apologies for any confusion. I'm not a "carb guy."

The primary jet sizes are marked "68F"
    The secondary jets are marked "52F"

The small brass baffle plates in the float bowls are stamped with the numbers: "G1298," if that means anything.

I want to give everyone as much information as possible so you can be confident and make an informed decision.

Thanks for your patience and let me know if you need any additional information.

On Apr-02-21 at 20:07:53 PDT, seller added the following information:

Following some questions, here's some more information:

Venturi size: "1.12" - This is found cast into the carb body. This is correct for the Hi-Po carburetor.

Model Year Casting: "4" - I assume this large single digit means 1964, which would correspond to a 1964-1/2 - 1965 model Mustang.
    Casting date: "11.5.63" - This is found cast into the bottom plate. This would be correct for a 1964-1/2-1965 model Mustang.
    Misc casted number: "2 0" found in a small circle on the bottom. I have no idea what this is.

The actual locations and jet sizes for this carb are:

Primary - 52F
    Secondary - 68F

These are the correct original jet sizes for a Hi-Po carb run at sea level.

I checked the mixture screws and they both turn very freely in both directions and are straight.

Background: I obtained this from an estate sale several years ago, along with a large lot of vintage auto parts. The previous owner was a Ford enthusiast in Southern California.

If there are any more questions, just let me know.

Thanks!
    Chris

Vintage Ford Autolite Motorcraft FoMoCo 4100 Hi-Po Four Barrel Carburetor C40FAL | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor sold April 4, 2021 on Ebay for $1,951.00 with 42 bids from 9 bidders.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "hipoengineparts " with a Buy-It-Now of $3,500.00 or make offer:

C4OF-AL 289 Hipo Autolite Carburetor
    Nice original Hipo used carburetor
    I'm selling this for a friend. Let me know if you have any questions.

C4OF - AL 289 Hipo Autolite Carburetor | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "hipoengineparts " with a Buy-It-Now of $3,500.00 or make offer:

C4OF-AL 289 Hipo Autolite Carburetor
    Nice original Hipo used carburetor
    I'm selling this for a friend. Let me know if you have any questions.

C4OF - AL 289 Hipo Autolite Carburetor | eBay

-Fred-

This listing for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor was ended by the seller January 7, 2022 with the following explanation "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "pashli0" with a starting bid of $2,990.00:

Rare and unique! This is an original Ford Autolite 4100 carburetor for 1965 Mustangs equipped with the 289 Hipo engine. It is the correct carburetor for GTs and K-code (hipo) engines. This unit is guaranteed to be all original and complete. It was restored and rebuilt professionally in Nov 2011. Item has been stored in dry, heated basement since. It was intended for use as a high-end restoration. The Shelby/Lemans-style carburetor was chosen instead. Please see photos for details. This unit has never been removed from its original wrapper after having been restored completely. (see photos for all details). Part is stamped (with original tag) C40F-AL. This is a very rare find indeed. Please review photos and ask any questions before bidding. Item is guaranteed to be the real deal as there are "fakes" being sold. I will add insurance prior to shipping.

Ford Autolite 4100 65 1965 Mustang Hipo Carburetor Original | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor by Ebay member "pashli0" with a starting bid of $2,990.00:

Rare and unique! This is an original Ford Autolite 4100 carburetor for 1965 Mustangs equipped with the 289 Hipo engine. It is the correct carburetor for GTs and K-code (hipo) engines. This unit is guaranteed to be all original and complete. It was restored and rebuilt professionally in Nov 2011. Item has been stored in dry, heated basement since. It was intended for use as a high-end restoration. The Shelby/Lemans-style carburetor was chosen instead. Please see photos for details. This unit has never been removed from its original wrapper after having been restored completely. (see photos for all details). Part is stamped (with original tag) C40F-AL. This is a very rare find indeed. Please review photos and ask any questions before bidding. Item is guaranteed to be the real deal as there are "fakes" being sold. I will add insurance prior to shipping.

-Fred-

This C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor received no bids by February 27, 2022 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor is back on Ebay again with a lower starting bid of $2,700.00:

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This rebuilt C4OF-AL Hipo carburetor sold March 4, 2022 on Ebay for $2,700.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!