Dangers of a Flywheel Explosion

• This is a fairly long story, but worth the read, so a comfortable chair and an appropriate beverage would be a plus.

This does not involve a Hipo 289 but rather a 55 Chevy back in the mid 60's. I personally had a 57 Chevy with a 270 horse 283 which is a factory dual quad solid lifter engine. These engines were known at the time as high RPM engines. I was replacing my clutch at one time and noticed a lot of heat cracks in the flywheel so I chose to replace it. Moving on with this story, a friend of mine had a 55 Chevy with a 283 bored .125 over making it what we called at the time a 301. When Chevy created the same .125 over 283 engine, they called it a 302 as in the 67-69 Camaro Z28. My friend also put a Mickey Thompson patent pending cross ram with two AFB's on the engine. This setup normally did not work well at lower RPM but this one worked well throughout the range. He also put a close ratio T10 aluminum 4 speed in the car. 55-57 Chevys only have engine mounts at the very front of the engine and on the bell housing. The transmission bolts to the bellhousing with the bellhousing being the only support as Chevy did not use a transmission mount until 1958 when they went to engine side mounts. When he was building the car, he did not have a flywheel and he asked to borrow my old one temporarily. All of this information is important as it all ties in very soon.

I was riding with him in my neighborhood where some of the streets were fairly long and on a slight downgrade. He wanted to show me how fast his car was now with all of his upgrades. He was in first gear and jumped on it as I was trying to tell him this was not a good idea with my flywheel. He either did not hear me or ignored me and power shifted to second gear. With the 3.55 rear end gears and a 2.20 first gear, 60 miles per hour is easily attained. So, at this speed and RPM, the flywheel did explode. I pulled my feet back when I heard and felt the explosion but if the flywheel had come through, I do not believe that my reaction time would have been good enough to keep my legs intact. The floor was pushed up on my side. My friend had a large hole on his side and about ¼ chunk of flywheel hit him in the leg. Miraculously, he did not get physically hurt. He did have a mental panic when he realized what had just taken place though. He started opening his door so that he could jump out. I was hanging onto him to keep that from happening. He realized that the service brakes were no longer functional, so he tried the parking brake. Remember that there is no transmission mount, and the parking brake is below the transmission. With the transmission laying on the parking brake, the mechanism would not function. Downshifting was of no use as the transmission was no longer attached to the engine. So here we are at around 60 MPH on a slight downgrade with no brakes, somehow, I made the decision to grab the steering wheel from the passenger side and keep steering the car against the sidewalk curbs. About a 3/8 mile after the explosion, we came upon a cross street where we had the stop sign and the cross traffic did not. Luckily there were no vehicles there when we went through and also had to navigate a double dip in the road for drainage. We continued on another ½ mile with me steering into curbs attempting to stop us and came to a main street that is well traveled. I managed to steer us into a sharp right turn and successfully stop us at the curb of the main street without any issues.

Now we had time to survey the actual damages. This explosion made a perfectly good 55 Chevy into a total loss at the time. The obvious damage without even getting out of the car was that the whole dash board was ballooned up against the windshield. Looking beneath the car was a reality check and a half!! The right side frame rail was cleanly cut through. The upsetting part is that the fuel and brake lines were also cut which explains the lack of service brakes. The fuel line was a much larger concern while we were still rolling as it was dripping fuel. The scary part was that the starter had been dragging the ground making sparks right next to the fuel line while we were still in motion. Had I known this, I might have wanted to jump out myself!! The rear of the block was torn away where the bell housing attaches and a significant hole in the oil pan happened as well.

The next day we observed the damage at the point where the explosion happened. There was a significant hole in the street and a small picket fence next to the street where this happened was torn down by the chunks of flywheel.

A flywheel explosion is enough of an issue without being on public streets trying to bring a car to a stop without any brakes. From this point forward, I used billet flywheels and Lakewood hydroformed scatter shields with block plate on my own cars, although, Lakewood had to start their business before that could happen. At that time, the Wedge was about the only scatter shield available.

Being able to walk away from this carnage was really a bonus!!

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Words of wisdom to heed by . i saw a simmilair event myself, an old buddy of mine had a 62 327 corvette, we were at the local hangout doing burnouts and just being stupid when his flywheel let go, it cut the dash in two along with the windshield, the vett was totaled we were very lucky , take what Fred says to hart ,have fun and be safe.

• Words of wisdom to heed by . i saw a simmilair event myself, an old buddy of mine had a 62 327 corvette, we were at the local hangout doing burnouts and just being stupid when his flywheel let go, it cut the dash in two along with the windshield, the vett was totaled we were very lucky , take what Fred says to hart ,have fun and be safe.

Chuck, That, had to be a sad moment. The Corvette engine sits back far enough that a flywheel explosion, or even just a clutch, can inflict heavy damage to the body. At least your buddy was not going 60 MPH, slightly downhill with no brakes.

A friend of mine had a record setting 66 Hipo Mustang coupe that he raced from new. It was called the Time Machine. Being as the engine sits more forward than the Covette, his flywheel explosion mainly took out the rear of the hood, but only by chance as it certainly could have been worse. This happened on the starting line at Lions drag strip in Long Beach, California. Yes, this does happen to Hipo Mustangs also and can really put a damper on your day. His Kar did live to race for many more days, at least through the late 70's when he moved out of my area.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• very similar only from a 58 chevy 348 tri power. blew the flywheel grand opening day of english town raceway park right after i made the 1 to 2 shift , over reved the motor blowing a few pistons out of the block laying them on the left upper a frame and doing the very first oil down for that track.

302 /z28 chevy really was a 327/350 block with a 3 inch 283 stroke as the block used the larger 350 mains and rods . bore wise while some early 283's could handle a 125 over if sonic tested they were pretty thin ,just like a windsor ford gets when bored to 060 ,

• When I was in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 66 GT350 a friend asked if I was going to install a scattershield. I said "no, the car did just fine as a B/P race car for 6 years on the original bell housing so should be good".

He called a few days later and said "come on over, got something to show you". Figured it was some rare part he scored. But when I got there he showed me a big gouge in his concrete driveway and several 1-3" holes in the siding of his house about 20 ft. away.

He explained that he had taken his 66 GT350 (early Hertz 4-speed) for a drive, and after opening the garage door gave the car a throttle blip as he started pulling in when there was big explosion. Apparently he determine the pressure plate exploded, destroying the bell housing with most of the shrapnel going down and bouncing off the driveway ricocheting into the house. Some of the fragments also went up cutting the brake line running along the firewall and denting the rare original all steel hood.

Since I had my engine out and was installing new brake lines, I went back the next day and gave him my original lines.

When I got back home I located and immediately bought a Cobra scattershield.

Dave
    6S1757

• When I was in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 66 GT350 a friend asked if I was going to install a scattershield. I said "no, the car did just fine as a B/P race car for 6 years on the original bell housing so should be good".

He called a few days later and said "come on over, got something to show you". Figured it was some rare part he scored. But when I got there he showed me a big gouge in his concrete driveway and several 1-3" holes in the siding of his house about 20 ft. away.

He explained that he had taken his 66 GT350 (early Hertz 4-speed) for a drive, and after opening the garage door gave the car a throttle blip as he started pulling in when there was big explosion. Apparently he determine the pressure plate exploded, destroying the bell housing with most of the shrapnel going down and bouncing off the driveway ricocheting into the house. Some of the fragments also went up cutting the brake line running along the firewall and denting the rare original all steel hood.

Since I had my engine out and was installing new brake lines, I went back the next day and gave him my original lines.

When I got back home I located and immediately bought a Cobra scattershield.

Keep in mind that this was only a clutch pressure plate explosion which is far less serious than a flywheel explosion which takes the pressure plate with it when it explodes.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• fred speaks the big truth , when a flywheel lets loose it makes a big mess, as a drag racer and a EMS/ EMT, not contained i have seen people loose feet when the chunks went though the floor cutting/ripping large holes

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!